Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > 2 eyes open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2 eyes open

Last time I went to the range somebody noticed I shoot with both eyes open,Is this that unusal among shooters?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I, for one, always shoot with both eyes open. I just want to be able to fire without worrying about one more technique. Granted, closing my left eye isn't that big a deal.

For me, the only weird thing I have to train myself away from focusing on, though, is the laser dot. Part of my brain is aware that I see 2 laser dots.

I don't actually spend much time using the laser...I use the iron sights. But I do see "two" dots floating around out there with both eyes open.

Now, aiming a rifle is totally different for me. But in general I won't be in a critical SD situation with my rifle against my shoulder.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolg View Post
Last time I went to the range somebody noticed I shoot with both eyes open,Is this that unusal among shooters?
Not if you are using a reflex sight.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Most folks I know shoot with both eyes open.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Both eyes open is best if you can do it. Gives depth perception but more importantly it gives you periphery vision. Many cannot keep the target or the sights from "jumping" and many don't even know if they close an eye or not.

Some that are cross-eyed dominant have trouble keeping both open.

Likewise it is said that shotguns are better shot with both eyes open. I use both eyes when I shoot a rifle with iron sights and sighting a red dot, EOTECH or a scope.

So, I think if you can keep both open and do as well as closing one... do it. although, as mentioned, some people cannot, so do what works best for you.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2652 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

With both eyes open, you also keep your face relaxed. Any tension can affect shooting.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find it a little difficult to focus with two eyes open while shooting, unless I'm using my 28" bbl shotgun because the sight is so far away. For me the further the sight, the better.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm cross eye dominant. Left handed shooter, but right eye dominant. I find it difficult to focus the front sight quickly with both open. And if I do get it in focus, usually if I sweep the gun towards another "target" I loose focus. If I close my left eye aiming is much faster. I plan to continue to try to learn to shoot both ways, but if I try aiming with both eyes open for prolonged periods when practicing it sometimes starts to give me a headache.

This could be just because i'm not used to this yet, but time will tell.

Last edited by jamesb; 06-16-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I keep both open unless I'm in a low light situation and having difficulty picking up the sight picture. I taught myself two eyes open shooting by closing the weak eye, picking up the sight picture, then opening the weak eye before shooting. I also found practicing both eyes open while using snap caps at home helped me learn the technique.