To +1... or not to +1... i got a question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > To +1... or not to +1... i got a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
5. An unloaded firearm is a poorly designed club. Remember Barney Fife?
Barney had to resort to other ways to catch them BG's!

Having just one bullet never stopped him...he was indeed, a deadly weapon!

Fife Chronicles 2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1, ALWAYS.
You must NEVER be afraid of your gun.
Respect yes, fear....don't load it!
You carry a gun to be ready, needing to load it is NOT ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
2. Learn to keep yer booger hook off'n the bangswitch until yer ready to shoot. (translation- you finger should not be inside of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
5. An unloaded firearm is a poorly designed club. Remember Barney Fife?
I didn't need a translation - i got Irish blood in me !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the handgun or rifle or is only as safe as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Barney had to resort to other ways to catch them BG's!
Ok, i NEVER thought i would carry this way. But you guys (everyone in this thread) have convinced me -

What i ask for from anyone that want to, is any extra reminders on safety you guys would care to offer me. I know it is all in here, and i am going to start digging. Any old threads, or whatever you would be kind enough to throw this threads way.

I am thinking i may need to look into one of those compact 1911's (suggestions welcome).

Tomorrow i am going to look into some more safety classes for me and my wife(suggestions welcome).

I have also seen online gun courses - there was one place that offered sort of like a "gun degree" do you guys put any merit in those?

Thanks Again Guys:- TheFIFE2000 - and quit picking on gramps!!!

Last edited by theferg2000; 11-29-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default i have 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
1911s when i got the first one i was a little nervous so i carried c&l with nothing in the chamber for about a week lo and behold, no hammer fall so now only c&l they are my edc 2 full size and a 4in

Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Already came across another thought where they said "I guarantee the BG will have one in the chamber"

One more question to add. On a DA, do you keep the safety off? - Referring to Condition 2 (non 1911) - if that even makes sense. Are the conditions only for 1911?

Last edited by theferg2000; 11-29-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: clarified question

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
there is no valid reason to leave guns laying around. the real reason is just pure laziness. We all pack around 10-100 lbs of blubber, so ccw'ing a 1 lb .38 snub or 9mm in a pocket rig is nothing at all.
Nudists might disagree.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The "Conditions" may have originated around the time of the 1911 design, but they do not apply just to that type of weapon.

Condition 1 - Round loaded in the chamber, the weapon is cocked or primed and ready to fire, but it has a safety in place to keep it from going off on it's own. Ideally this should be a manual safety that the user has to intentionally switch off.

Condition 2 - Round is loaded in the chamber, hammer is down and safety is off. To fire one must pull back the hammer like you would see a cowboy do when he pulls and fires. Striker fired weapons have a mixed bag of people saying you can/should and you cannot/should not carry them in condition 2. I don't like striker fired weapons, so I don't own one. I never carry in anything OTHER than condition one, because it's the way JMB intended me to carry.

Condition 3 - No round in place, magazine is in place, any safety is off. You have to pull, rack the slide to chamber the round, then shoot. I believe it is the Israeli's that have perfected this to prevent against accidental/negligent discharges and they are VERY effective at it. They also teach an advanced way of point shooting that aids in their accuracy, so it's difficult to say if this version would be viable or advisable to someone that wasn't trained in their method of doing things.

Condition 4 - The never talked about, bastard cousin of Condition 3 that I personally think was invented by someone with too much time on their hands and an honest attempt to please both the people who want to get the weapon in play fast, but also NEVER want to worry about an AD/ND. In Condition 4, your weapon is loaded with a full magazine, but the weapon is cocked, hammer/striker is all the way back and the safety is off. When you draw, it takes MUCH less pressure to re-rack the slide and chamber the first round, thus you have a blend of Condition 3 and Condition 2. If you ever finger the trigger, there is no round in the chamber to go off, but you don't need the extra strength and positive grip to exert the full ( est. 16 pounds ) of force to rack the slide in that moment of life or death.

Consider the safety devices of YOUR weapon and decide what YOU are comfortable and feel safe doing. Don't rely on us to tell you what is going to work for you, it might not.

I prefer Condition One and only Condition One, because if the time comes, my goal is to go from "Yo Homie, is that my briefcase?" to SMOKING is an instant.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6732 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
I didn't need a translation - i got Irish blood in me !!

Ok, i NEVER
I am thinking i may need to look into one of those compact 1911's (suggestions welcome).

Tomorrow i am going to look into some more safety classes for me and my wife(suggestions welcome).

I have also seen online gun courses - there was one place that offered sort of like a "gun degree" do you guys put any merit in those?

Thanks Again Guys:- TheFIFE2000 - and quit picking on gramps!!!

my opinions:

1. i reaalllllly like my colt new agent. if you dont mind trench sights new agent. if you must have standard sights colt defender. colts are still the best 1911 on the market hands down in my opinion.

2. damn good idea on training i highly recomend 1on 1 training. i do NOT recomend you and the wife take the class at the same time. husband/wife husband/husband wife/wife/ bf/gf brother/sister friend/friend combos can lead to distractions when info is being handed out. never take shooting classes with people you know. i used to teach small arms instruction in the army and i sent my wife to a safety class for initial training and all i do is reinforce when i see a bad habit pop up. i have refined her skills with rifle pistol and shotgun but its not easy teaching a loved one or taking a course with them.

3. online stuff isnt worth the pixels its displayed on.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10556 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Quote:
Hey- that sounds GREAT! Along the same lines, I am taking an on-line Surgery Course. Say- don't suppose you still have your appendix, do ya? Can help you with that- got my on-line certificate as a surgin- uh, surging- uh sturgeon- ah hell- YOU know what I mean........

Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1484 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Carry a 1911 in Condition 1 or 2 assumes that you know WTF you are doing. Carry in Condition 3 assumes that you are A) afraid of an AD, or B) you've spent years practicing draw and rack and can do it as fast as Cond 1 or 2. My 2 c

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #20

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I carry mine unloaded, hammer back safety off,
because California is... unkind, to gun owners.