Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > To +1... or not to +1... i got a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default To +1... or not to +1... i got a question

So i have been trying to dispel some fears of some family and friends related to firearms. In teaching them how a auto hand gun works, i have explained the magazine being in the gun as more of a "storage" place for your ammo.

I got to thinking though, is it "possible" i.e. could happen within reason, that a gun could somehow some way fire with nothing in the chamber, but a fully loaded mag in? (and i am not talking you accidentally catch the slide on something and rack it). Has anyone ever heard of any accidental shooting where the gun was carried in this state?

Also add in if you do carry full mag +1 and why you think it is worth the added risk. I do not carry it cocked and locked, as i am just too weary of an accident with my little ones, or ANYONE for that matter. But i have a compact .40 that is 6 +1. So i would love one more round.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Some pistols are designed to be carried cocked and locked. The 1911 is a perfect example, the Browning Hi Power is another. If the pistol has the capability of being carried that way, then carry it that way. That's how it was intended to be carried.

I'm in Sacramento, CA and the chance of me getting a CCW are as good as getting the Snow-Cone franchise in Hades, so I don't carry. However, at home loaded pistols are cocked and locked. That means +1, with a round in the chamber.

A pistol that doesn't have a round in the chamber has no chance of the firing pin striking the primer of a round even if dropped. The possibility of a round going off if the pistol is dropped without a round chambered is slim and none.

I am not a firearms expert and don't even play one on TV, but I feel this is sound knowledge.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #3

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
Also add in if you do carry full mag +1 and why you think it is worth the added risk. I do not carry it cocked and locked, as i am just too weary of an accident with my little ones, or ANYONE for that matter. But i have a compact .40 that is 6 +1. So i would love one more round.
the added risk is not having a loaded weapon when something happens.

if you have children and the gun isnt on your person it should be locked until you can properly train your kiddos in firearm safety

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don’t dumb down my EDC to be safe, I carry it in Condition One and only.
When I safely draw it from my holster it will be extremely dangerous as I blow the dirtbag’s heart out!

If you carry a 1911 or BHP in any form other than Cocked & Locked (Condition 1) you are in a state of false security. The heart-beat it takes to rack that round may be your last.

Very few people can be totally ruthless, it takes more strength than one can imagine....
Those that can’t get berated by Yoda and become politicians.

Please read this:
Read this before you decide to carry!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #5

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #6

I have rarely carried my .45 1911, just because it is not something that i could conceal carry very often. I do keep it cocked and locked in the small quick open hand gun safe for home protection.

But my carry guns in the past have all been compact autos (mostly .380, 9, ,40). I just got a Taurus PT740 (.40) and i dont keep one in the chamber (and have not in the past). I keep it on me all the time even at home (home invasions, and for anything else). It goes in the handgun safe at night with the 1911.

What do you think about not going +1 with the compacts? How do you know which guns are designed for it, is there a rule, or just reading the manual.

Last edited by theferg2000; 11-29-2010 at 04:19 AM.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1, ALWAYS.

You must NEVER be afraid of your gun.

Respect yes, fear....don't load it!

You carry a gun to be ready, needing to load it is NOT ready.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #8

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

1. I know of no gun that was NOT designed to be carried loaded, with the possible exception of the old style Colt/Ruger SINGLE ACTION revolvers, that should not have hammer resting on a loaded chamber. Modern DA revolvers, modern autos, etc, are intended to be carried loaded.

2. Learn to keep yer booger hook off'n the bangswitch until yer ready to shoot. (translation- you finger should not be inside of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.

3. A firearm with an empty chamber can no more fire than a car with no gasoline can start up and run down the highway.

4. Yes, a magazine is where ammo is stored. The name comes from the French word for "storehouse".

5. An unloaded firearm is a poorly designed club. Remember Barney Fife?

6. With the exception of time outs in the hospital, I have carried pretty much every day since 1968. Have not had a firearm decide to shoot without me telling it to.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #9

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

the handgun or rifle or is only as safe as the person wielding it. i keep my self defense guns loaded with one in the chamber and full mags. 1911 and AR its a flick of the safety and ready to roll. my little pocket rocket 380 ppk copy bersas one in the chamber hammer down safety off as they are double action and intended to be carried that way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
5. An unloaded firearm is a poorly designed club. Remember Barney Fife?
As always, C3 has nailed another one...