Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Wood Grain Not Coming Through in Stain Process (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/wood-grain-not-coming-through-stain-process-29573/)

ARnoob 07-22-2010 03:39 AM

Wood Grain Not Coming Through in Stain Process

I was using Minwax Sedona Red stain on my Bulgy AK handguards. I've only applied one coat so far. It looks great, except for the lower HG. The wood grain doesn't show through the stain very well, and I wonder what the best way to deal with this is.

I was thinking about waiting to see what it looks like tomorrow, and then sanding it and redoing the stain, but I'm not sure if this would work. All the wood furniture was bleached before I stained it (not sure if that matters). I then thought about adding Tung oil to the stained wood. I also thought about just adding the shellac that I planned to use as a sealant anyway. Would that help? What suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks!

stalkingbear 07-22-2010 03:51 AM

It sounds to me that the stain is on too heavy on the lower handguard. Try using 0000 steel wool on it before stripping it down again.

willfully armed 07-22-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 318545)
It sounds to me that the stain is on too heavy on the lower handguard. Try using 0000 steel wool on it before stripping it down again.

beat me to it. sand, and try wiping the stain off 15 secs after application. Repeat until desired color is achieved.

ARnoob 07-22-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 318545)

Thanks. Should I use a stripping agent on it and just start over or simply use the steel wool to remove the excess stain?

stalkingbear 07-22-2010 02:41 PM

Just use the steel wool to remove the excess.

ARnoob 07-22-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 318669)
Just use the steel wool to remove the excess.

Cool. Thanks Bear!

TheOldMan 07-23-2010 01:57 PM

Post some pictures if you would plz...

Rick1967 07-23-2010 11:09 PM

I am believe that if you take a rag that is damp with mineral spirits, you will be able to wipe off the extra stain. I have done this with wood work that had dried for a long time.

cpttango30 07-24-2010 11:03 AM

Thinking that these are select grade walnut and just cheap wood.

I would use a wood conditioner before applying stain again. A Conditioner helps the wood take stain more evenly.

I would sand down then condition wood then stain as bear said....

ARnoob 07-26-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 319640)
Thinking that these are select grade walnut and just cheap wood.

I would use a wood conditioner before applying stain again. A Conditioner helps the wood take stain more evenly.

I would sand down then condition wood then stain as bear said....

Who makes a good wood conditioner? Thanks.