Winchester model 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Winchester model 12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Winchester model 12

I inherited a collection of vintage model 12 Winchesters from my dad a while back and I'm wanting to restore the 16 gauge. It's in functional condition but very badly rusted. It was stolen when I was a kid and we got it back after an Indiana winter in the trunk of a car. My question is how to remove the pitting or if there is a Finnish that works good at hiding the pitting that is left.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

How about some pictures! It depends on how bad the pitting is. You may need to seek a professional gunsmith and finisher for the task. Since buffing and polishing will probably be required without damaging any of the printing on the weapon. Bottom line once it is finished it severely damages the value of the shotgun. I Realy depends on what you want to do to it. If only for a shooter a *dark parkerizing is a possibility and will hide a lot of corrosion damage. Only a thought. The Model 12s in good shape and condition are valuable. But the most value is you inherited them from your Dad and to me those I inherited are heirlooms and keepsakes. I would not even consider selling them!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I don't have pics with me and I'm sure the pitting will not all be gone I just want it to look a little better. As for value I don't care at all considering they will never go up for sale. Probably just turn this one into my hunting gun or field gun since its already dammaged.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:20 AM   #4

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You may not be able to remove the pitting. But you can bead blast the gun. Bead blasting will hide the pitting unless it is hideous. One thing I have noticed about old shotguns and rifles, the looks of the gun has no effect on the way it shoots. Shooting and handling the gun will knock most of the surface rust off the gun. What you will have left is known as patina. I would get the gun shooting good. After that I would shoot it clean.
1911er Likes This 
Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

infidel686....

If you are still tracking your thread, I've got some information for you. First congratz on inheriting your fathers Winchesters. Next, you are probably already aware that model 12's are very popular and collectible. Prices range from a low of 250 to a high of 4k depending on the model and condition. I restore firearms for a living so I'd like to put to rest the mistaken notion that restoring a firearm severely devalues it. That simply is not true. When done correctly, restoration can, in fact, increase it's value. The key word being "correctly". Anyone can take a piece of sandpaper and attack rust and pitting on a firearm. I see this kind of shade tree work come into my shop all the time and it makes me shiver every single time.

Removing rust and pitting is not that difficult if you apply the proper techniques and take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. Rust removal can be accomplished many different ways using chemicals such as Naval Jelly, hand sanding, and media blasting. It is more difficult to remove pitting but not impossible. Most of the time it's done by hand sanding but another technique is draw filing. Most often this technique is used on flat surfaces but it can also be used on rounded surfaces if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Once the rust and pitting have been addressed, the next thing is applying the new finish. Finish options are varied but to do things correctly, you need to apply a finish as close to original as possible. In the case of your model 12's (aside from the trench model) that would be a blued finish. In the end it is totally up to you how far you want to go restoring your shotguns. Almost all of my customers bring firearms to me that they have inherited from other family members and really have no problem paying the price to bring them back to their former glory.

John_Deer...

You are partially mistaken when you mention that bead blasting will remove pitting. Media blasting does remove the surface finish but unless you are using a highly aggressive material, you will not get below the pits. That must be done by hand. Also, patina is any finish that you have on your firearm including surface rust. It's all just oxidation over time. But most often it is not the type of rust you can knock off.

RC