Winchester '94 Project - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Winchester '94 Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Redman Relining is very good at restoring barrels.
Maybe not they have dropped the 30-30 liners?

http://www.redmansrifling.com/relining.htm
Thank you for the link but yes, they do not re-line 30-30. I finished the polish on the outside of the barrel and will work to clean the rifling to really get a good look see on it's condition. If you recall the pictures I posted at the front end of this thread you can see that there was extensive pitting. I removed almost all of it in the process of sanding. A while back I purchased a wood lathe from Harbor Freight and it's turned out to be a God send when restoring barrels. I will post pictures of it prior to rebluing.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default New Update

Attached are pictures of the barrel prior to reblue. I ran a brush down the bore as well to check it out and was amazed at how clean it is. No copper or lead fouling at all! I am stoked now especially since I found a supplier for parts and got a good pre-64 schematic to order off of..

100_1280.jpg   100_1281.jpg  

www.RCGunworksllc.com

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

People Like This 
Old 11-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Barrel Completed

The "after" pictures of the original barrel that came with this relic. I hope you all agree that it does not look anything like it did in the beginning. I just got the 3 volume set of "Gun Parts Book 13" from Jack Frost Inc. today in the mail and I've gotta say this was probably one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. This is set 13. The woman that took my order over the phone told me, it will likely be their last set for publication. So for anyone who does restorations or repairs to their own guns or for others, this is a MUST have (in my opinion). Each volume contains over 1000 pages covering every firearm made up till 5 years ago. Also included are schematics of most if not all firearms listed. Best $40 I've ever spent.

100_1282.jpg   100_1283.jpg  

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Last edited by TheOldMan; 11-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Gh0zt36 Likes This 
Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The three volumes do not show up on the Internet. Please give me the publication details. Publisher, city, author, etc. thanks

Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #25

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Looks like quite the project missing a few parts I can see . Will you be replacing missing parts with pre 64 like cartidge tube and the chamber plate ? Or just frankenstein whatever you can find that will fit ?

She's a beauty even in the condition shes in imho I'd probly hang it on my wall for decoration . Good luck ! Cant wait to see how she turns out .

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #26

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

I'm curious. Did you ever consider that this had been in a fire? that would account for the overall rust and the bent barrel. If so would not a fire ruin the temper of the receiver as well as any parts that were heat treated.

I'm a Winchester collector and most collectors I know would assume this was a house fire etc. gun.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #27

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

How's it goin old man ? Patiently awaiting updates on this project. Hope it's going together well .

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #28

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a model 39Marlin that I just restored. When I started on it I was just going to knock off some of the big chunks of rust and paint it. But as I started cleaning and sanding it I realized that it could be restored. The rifling was pristine. With careful sanding and polishing it came around to a high polished beauty. I used Brownells Oxfo blue on it and am very happy I did. Looks good as new and I can highly recommend it to blue other guns. I am now working on a 94 that looks about as bad as this one barrel is straight and the rifling is good though. If the 94 works out I'll have to get some more junkers to restore to their previous glory!!!

Better to die on my feet than to live on my knees

Old 12-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #29

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts

Oxpho Blue is a good cold blue, but it is a cold blue and they don't work very well. Please look into rust bluing. Brownell's sells the solutions. It's real bluing and it holds up, looks great, doesn't promote rust, and doesn't stink-unlike cold bluing.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Come on TOM, you've got us hooked into following this restoration – waiting on an update ‘ol-buddy…..