Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > who blues rifles professionally?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Camshafted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default who blues rifles professionally?

I inherited my grandpa's winchester .22 and i would like to have it re-blued. Is there a company or anyone who can do a good job?

__________________
Camshafted is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,409
Liked 20057 Times on 11408 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshafted View Post
I inherited my grandpa's winchester .22 and i would like to have it re-blued. Is there a company or anyone who can do a good job?
check out the LGS's in your area. either they can suggest someone they use for their used guns that need reblueing or know of a gunsmith that could do it for you.
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga. North to Chattanooga,Tn.,Georgia
Posts: 213
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Where do you live?

__________________
barneygoogle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LikeABoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 466
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

turnbull, the best but expensive

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

__________________
There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men. -Robert A. Heinlein
LikeABoss is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga. North to Chattanooga,Tn.,Georgia
Posts: 213
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

If it's not in really bad condition I would leave it alone. If it's a model 74 it would cost more to blue it than it's worth. If it were my grandpaws, I would leave it alone.

__________________
barneygoogle is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LikeABoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 466
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

I agree, leave it alone

__________________
There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men. -Robert A. Heinlein
LikeABoss is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,409
Liked 20057 Times on 11408 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
If it's not in really bad condition I would leave it alone. If it's a model 74 it would cost more to blue it than it's worth. If it were my grandpaws, I would leave it alone.
for the most part i have to agree. if it's just in well worn condition and in pretty good shape, just looking like it's been used, then it might be a better idea to leave it as is. now if it sat in a damp and musty corner of the closet for the last thirty years and wears a fine coat of rust, but still functions fine, then reblueing might be suggested.

if possible post some pictures of the rifle so we can help you determine whether reblueing should be done. i have seen many old rifles sitting in gunshops for sale, that if i bought would never even consider reblueing. on some guns, reblueing can even hurt their value.
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-15-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

for the most part i have to agree. if it's just in well worn condition and in pretty good shape, just looking like it's been used, then it might be a better idea to leave it as is. now if it sat in a damp and musty corner of the closet for the last thirty years and wears a fine coat of rust, but still functions fine, then reblueing might be suggested.

if possible post some pictures of the rifle so we can help you determine whether reblueing should be done. i have seen many old rifles sitting in gunshops for sale, that if i bought would never even consider reblueing. on some guns, reblueing can even hurt their value.
Completely agree with this.
But if you're hell bent on having it blued, do it yourself. Get a cold blueing kit for about $25 and kill a day on it.
__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Camshafted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

It looks like someone tried sanding down the old finish. It definitely needs work. I'll post pics when i can

__________________
Camshafted is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheOldMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Warner Robins,Georgia
Posts: 999
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshafted View Post
It looks like someone tried sanding down the old finish. It definitely needs work. I'll post pics when i can
Just so you know.. A professional bluing job is going to run you about $150 - $200 "if" the rifle is in decent shape and only requires minor cleaning and prep work by the smith. If it's got heavy rust or pitting, it will cost more..
__________________

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

TheOldMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
backorder blues bax8arms The Club House 24 03-09-2012 08:43 PM
Ruger 10/22 trigger groups professionally reworked stalkingbear Sponsor Display 96 01-03-2012 10:33 PM
Single-stage blues Gatekeeper Ammunition & Reloading 14 04-15-2010 11:31 PM
1st round blues huck1 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 15 03-01-2009 11:48 AM