What is NYTEX ??????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > What is NYTEX ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What is NYTEX ??????

This happened a number of years ago. I aquired a used Super Blackhawk that was in rough shape. Had some rust and some home gunsmithing done to it. Then I left on a 6 month deployment and when I got back found out that my Dad let my brother use the pistol and when I got back it was in even rougher shape. My Dad and I talked it over and he said that he would make it right. Soon after that I received orders to go to Okinawa for 13 months and when I got back Dad handed that Super Blackhawk over to me and he had kept his word he had that revolver looking totally different and almost new. He said that Marvin (the local gun smith) recommended this new metal finish called Nytex (this happened in 1977) which was Marvin claimed it would make the gun nearly rust resistant. Marvin cut the barrel back to the ejector rod housing and squared the barrel and recrowned and a brand new front sight,and a trigger job, and sent off to be Nytexed. Dad said that he was impressed how the gun turned out and would buy it from me if I did not like it.
I still have this Super Blackhawk today. I don's know how many rounds I have put through it but it has been alot, and the Nytex finish has been impervious to rust, cleaning solvents, scratches, holster wear, and still looks great still today.

But I cannot find out what kind of metal finish process Nytex is and the gunsmith I go to now does not know of anything called Nytex or any simular finishes, and recommends "hard chrome" as the best finish for any pistol or revolver. My question is what is nytex and where do I go to get it done???

J Budd

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Possibly Nitrex. Nitriding metal treatment

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ???? Nytrex

Nytrex I have never heard of either. Could be that what Dad and Marv had done to my SBH. What kind of process is it and how does it bond to the metal?
J Budd

Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #4

Hello. In the 1970's, I think it was Colt that offered some of their handguns with an electroless nickle finish referred to as "nitex".

Best.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's someone who has apperently heard of it...

TheFiringLine Forums - View Single Post - Glock Refinish Options?

Maybe you could ask him.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000