Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Trying not to refinish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trying not to refinish

I have inherited a 1911 that has a nickel plated finish with pearl grips. This gun has been left in the safe wrapped up for the better part of the last 40 years. The surface has developed a slight gold tarnish look to it thru the years. There is no rusting or pitting or wear of the finish.

Is there any way to restore this finish without destroying it. I have tried wiping with oil but nothing stronger. Thanks for any information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

As far as I know, nickel tends to yellow with age. I don't know if there's a fix or not. Personally, I wouldn't mess around too much with an old Colt. I'd just clean and lubricate it and shoot it. (I'd probably change those pearl grips out though.)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't even think about refinishing your old nickel finished 1911-it would seriously detract from the value unless you're just wanting it for a shooter. As far as getting the yellow out of the nickel surface you might try polishing it with a non abrasive compound and/or gentle cleaner.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Don't even think about refinishing your old nickel finished 1911-it would seriously detract from the value unless you're just wanting it for a shooter. As far as getting the yellow out of the nickel surface you might try polishing it with a non abrasive compound and/or gentle cleaner.
I agree. My Stepfather had a similar 1911, and polished it up all nice and clean. he tried to sell it to a collector later, and messing with the finish greatly lowered it's value.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. I will leave my "golden gun" as is and not refinish.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Just a note

My Stepfathers shot best with Federal 230 gr. FMJ if you are planning to actually shoot it.

His was an A1, and the closest thing that I have had was an A2 made by Singer that was WW2 Milsurp that I got through CMP in..? 1970 I think..?

It liked the federal FMJ's also,and hated any HP's...

Sua Sponte!