You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Stripping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have no idea what alumahyde is, and that duracote crap, is it that that stuff they sell at hobby lobby for the airbrush painters? cause that aint happenin. i love my girl, but not enough for 200+ bucks for a pink coat on a dinky firearm. <- orginally she wanted it pink, i told her hell to the no, now im just tryin to make it shiny.

what about that polish stuff? does that protect at all or is it just cleaning?

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Last edited by Soliferrum; 03-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #12

Default Sandblast

You need to strip it with a sandblasting unit with the fine grit aluminum oxide. Use it to strip off the finish without altering the metal. If you have some pitting, you can also concentrate on that area ans smooth the pits out.
You can get one at Harbor Freight. Total cost will be around $100-125 depending on what you buy and if you can find a sale or two.

I use this method to strip duracoat and other firearm finishes when I am not satisfied with the initial result.

Last edited by SCPossum; 03-13-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

time and acatone if its paint let soak. at least you aint dealing with rust

Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #14

Get aircraft paint stripper.Fill a glass bowl enough to cover the gun. Remove all the things that can be unbolted, plastic, wood,etc. Let it sit for an hour or two, and it should just all wipe right off. If it doesn't, do it again. Don't sandblast it; it will pit the metal.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #15

By the way, your girlfriend might just not like that derringer. They have a very hard trigger pull. I was going to buy my wife one, but she couldn't even pull the trigger.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Use paint stripper if you do not have access to a bead blaster... No sense in buying one if you don't plan to refinish as a hobby. Now for the Duracoat?? Total investment to apply and finish a weapon will be less than $50 if you "don't" have a compressor and a bit more if you gotta buy a compressor. You don't need anything fancy.. just a 2 gal unit will work.

But bottom line... if you are doing this for your GF, don't do a half ass job....

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
Get aircraft paint stripper.Fill a glass bowl enough to cover the gun. Remove all the things that can be unbolted, plastic, wood,etc. Let it sit for an hour or two, and it should just all wipe right off. If it doesn't, do it again. Don't sandblast it; it will pit the metal.
Sandblasting will not pit the metal but will etch it to a degree and leave it a bit rougher... Glass beads will be smoother since it will not etch like Aluminum Oxide will. I use my blaster all the time restoring firearms.. Glass beads if I want to reblue, oxide if I plan to duracoat or Parkarize.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPossum View Post
You need to strip it with a sandblasting unit with the fine grit aluminum oxide. Use it to strip off the finish without altering the metal. If you have some pitting, you can also concentrate on that area ans smooth the pits out.
You can get one at Harbor Freight. Total cost will be around $100-125 depending on what you buy and if you can find a sale or two.

I use this method to strip duracoat and other firearm finishes when I am not satisfied with the initial result.
Aluminum oxide does indeed alter the metal... Not much but it does etch it. I think you may be thinking of glass beads... GB's will not remove metal but will remove the finish... I don't recommend the cheaper model blasting cabinet from HF... Go a little higher and get the unit with the side doors... it does not leak near as bad as the cheaper one... voice of exp.

Last bit of advice? chuck the plexy glass panel and have a glass shop cut you a custom piece to put in it's place... Plate glass is preferable and it will last forever before getting that fog look like plexy will..