Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Stripping? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/stripping-59884/)

Soliferrum 03-10-2012 03:37 AM

Stripping?

got my hands on a derringer that is so caked with black paint, the letters are almost completely filled in and illegible. Honestly, its like the parts came out of the oven on a rack and they just hosed it down and called it good. honestly, even the insides of the barrels are painted its disgusting.

i see all the advice in the world for painting a firearm, but how are you all stripping it? is it seriously just, dump it in paint thinner, come back later? i took a small small wire wheel on some piss ant dremel to a short part of the barrels, i know thats a no no but im not restoring it im just getting the sh!t off of it, besides it still wasnt doing a good job of it. And dont tell me sand blasting, sorry, i dont "got a buddy" somewhere that has one.

i just figured hand sanding it with fine grit but if there is an easier way it would help greatly.

dog2000tj 03-10-2012 03:48 AM

totally disappointed :mad: ... not what I was expecting at all :(

on a serious note I have never refinished a firearm but I would think paint thinner would work fine, just let it soak a while

Soliferrum 03-10-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 735313)
totally disappointed :mad: ... not what I was expecting at all :(

heh-heh giggidy

yea i just didnt know if that would actually work for such caked on baked paint. but if that is what works the best, then crock potting it it is.

Ranger-6 03-10-2012 04:16 AM

Two days in paint thinner, PB Blaster, WD40 should fix it right up.

Soliferrum 03-10-2012 04:17 AM

should it just fall right off, or do i have to wire brush that whore?

danf_fl 03-10-2012 08:28 AM

Chances are you will still end up with a brush against it.
If you have an air compressor, consider getting a paint removal gel (follow the directions carefully).
Most will have you use water to remove the old paint. Use the compressor to blow dry the piece.
Don't forget to lube the bare metal if you don't want a piece of rust on your hands.

DrumJunkie 03-10-2012 10:31 AM

I use the gel strippers too. It jut seems to wok a little better. What kind o finish are you going to put back on it?

hiwall 03-10-2012 12:47 PM

I have my doubts about paint thinner working. Lacquer thinner might work. Best would be a paint remover. Many products may wreck the grips. Should not have to use a wire brush, at most a nylon brush.

Soliferrum 03-10-2012 01:38 PM

well i plan on going to home depot and asking them for the strongest stuff they got. I want to just make it shiney, the bare metal. ill have to research on how to finish it cause i just wire strip then krylon all my guns. this one belongs to the woman so im tryin to make it purdy.

danf_fl 03-10-2012 07:12 PM

Take a look at Alumahyde or durakote(?)

For some applications, a clear coat (automotive wheel paint) may protect your investment