Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Steven's Favorite Stock Restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Steven's Favorite Stock Restoration

I've got an old Steven's Favorite 1894 that was my grandfathers that I'm going to restore. The story as my dad tells it...my grandpa traded a pair of spurs for it when he was 12, back in 1938.

Here's a pic of the rifle...not very good, but the only one I have.

The stock and handguard before any restoration

The stock and handguard after cleaning, degreasing, steaming, bleaching, sanding, and WATCO Teak Oil application.

I've got a small bit left to do, but this is it so far.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Checked out your shotgun thread also.. Nice job on the wood especially considering it had been "customized" with the initials.. If you don't mind, could you share your process with me/us? I'd like to know how you degrease your stock(s) and what you mean by "bleaching" (as asked in your other thread).

Thanks

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 12-15-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Checked out your shotgun thread also.. Nice job on the wood especially considering it had been "customized" with the initials.. If you don't mind, could you share your process with me/us? I'd like to know how you degrease your stock(s) and what you mean by "bleaching" (as asked in your other thread).

Thanks
My process, which was basically given to me by a buddy of mine that is working towards starting a gunsmith business.

1. Cleaning/Degreasing: I take the wood and thoroughly soak it with Krud Kutter...a cleaner/degreaser that is available at Home Depot. I spray a heavy amount on the wood and let it sit for about 3 minutes. Then I use a green monster (green scratch pad) to scrub it down with. I repeat this step 2 to 3 times. Not only does it clean it, but it helps to remove some of the wood finish.

2. Steaming/Bleaching: After I'm done with the cleaning/degreasing I put the wood into the dishwasher and run a standard cycle with detergent. Once it gets to the drying cycle, the dishwasher builds up a lot of steam to help swell the wood and start bringing up the dents, dings, and shallow scratches. It also helps with the continued cleaning and removing more of the wood finish by use of a bleaching action. For more direct steaming on a particular difficult blemish in the wood is to use a wet wash cloth and an iron. You don't want to do this too often because too much repeated heat my start to crack the wood. As for bleaching, you can buy wood bleach or deck bleach to apply directly to a stain and use 0000 steel wool to help "rub" it out. Once this is done, let the wood thoroughly dry. Sometimes I let it air dry for a couple of days, but I've also put the wood in the oven under low heat.

3. Sanding: After the wood is dry, I start sanding. I start with 60 grit, step up to less course sandpaper up to 320 grit.

4. Apply finish: After sanding I start applying the finish. For me I use WATCO Teak Oil. I just like the look, and it helps to protect better and makes the wood stronger. After 3 coats, I'll give the wood a light sanding with 320 grit sandpaper, apply 2 more coats, and repeat until I'm satisfied with the look. I haven't finished the shotgun or rifle stocks yet...I'm going to get smoother sandpaper and repeat the process of sanding, staining, sanding, etc...to get the right look.

Hope this helps.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks... I've used your process before with the dishwasher and it works great.. The bleaching was what I was most interested in learning from you though.. I'll have to try the teak oil.. I use BLO for most of my stock restorations. One thing I've found that works great for that final "polish" on the wood is 0000 steel wool. I apply firm preasure on the wood more or less burnishing the wood. It's the finest sanding you can do and it really makes the finsih pop. I do this "after" I've applied any stain but "before" I apply the hand rubbed oil finish.

Light buffing with 0000 between oil coats until I've gotten the desired look/finish.

Bob

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 12-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #5

I finished up the stock and handguard of my Steven's Favorite 1894 today. I gave both the stock and handguard a good rub down with 0000 steel wool...it smoothed up the wood nicely and gave it a nice subtle sheen. I'm very pleased with the finished product.