Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   staining wooden stocks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/staining-wooden-stocks-93809/)

sunsoutgunsout 07-12-2013 06:48 PM

staining wooden stocks

Tryin a little project for the heck of it. Got an only cooey that i wanna duracoat the barrel (after sanding it and whatnot, I know the procedure for that already) but i wanna stain the rifle to more of a reddish colour. Is there a protective layer over the stock usually? I was gonna sand it down using a medium grit working my way up to really fine grit, then stain it. Is there any other ways to tackle this, and what should i use to protect the stain?

Hawg 07-12-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsoutgunsout (Post 1302568)
Tryin a little project for the heck of it. Got an only cooey that i wanna duracoat the barrel (after sanding it and whatnot, I know the procedure for that already) but i wanna stain the rifle to more of a reddish colour. Is there a protective layer over the stock usually? I was gonna sand it down using a medium grit working my way up to really fine grit, then stain it. Is there any other ways to tackle this, and what should i use to protect the stain?

Don't sand it, strip it. If you sand it you're going to have poor wood to metal fit. You may need to lightly sand it after stripping but do it very lightly with a fine grit.

KG7IL 07-12-2013 09:07 PM

I'll second Hawg's advise.

Use a chemical stripper
- such as
*Harsh Stuff* Jasco Paint and Epoxy Stripper
* Volatile * Formby's Furniture Restorer
* Home Made * Acetone, Xylol, Toluene mix
* Greenie* Soy based, safe to eat, but not so effective

Use a fine steel wool or 'white 3m' scrub pad. Don't change the wood at all.

Now the only thing that I need to know is what does this mean? "Got an only cooey"

sunsoutgunsout 07-12-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1302673)
I'll second Hawg's advise.

Use a chemical stripper
- such as
*Harsh Stuff* Jasco Paint and Epoxy Stripper
* Volatile * Formby's Furniture Restorer
* Home Made * Acetone, Xylol, Toluene mix
* Greenie* Soy based, safe to eat, but not so effective

Use a fine steel wool or 'white 3m' scrub pad. Don't change the wood at all.

Now the only thing that I need to know is what does this mean? "Got an only cooey"

Oh haha, i meant old cooey. Model 75 to be exact, the ones before winchester bought em out

c3shooter 07-12-2013 09:20 PM

Unless you run a meth lab on the side, you may be short of acetone, xylene, toluene, etc- so go buy a can of Formby's Refinisher. be careful- flammable as hell, vapor not good for you. Use outdoors. After it is fully dry, stain.

KG7IL 07-12-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1302682)
Unless you run a meth lab on the side, you may be short of acetone, xylene, toluene, etc- so go buy a can of Formby's Refinisher. be careful- flammable as hell, vapor not good for you. Use outdoors. After it is fully dry, stain.

I mentioned the Formby's, which is acetone, xylene and toluene, and. having these products are no more prima fascia of criminal activity than having a firearm with bullets.

I enjoy woodworking and refinishing, so these products are handy in my shop. as is denatured alcohol, mineral spirits and elbow grease.

I am quite sure that I am not alone in the woodworking/refinishing hobby.

Anna_Purna 07-12-2013 10:53 PM

This stuff removed the finish off my rifle pretty easily. 9 dollars at home depot

And you can buy gallons of MEK, Acetone, etc at Sherwin Williams type stores.

c3shooter 07-14-2013 05:37 AM

KG- foregoing was meant in s humorous vein- no offense was intended. Like yourself, I have a shop for wood and metal working- and yes, I have gallons of assorted solvents, ranging from MEK to alcohols to hydrocarbons to .... whatever. Think there is still a quart of 1-1-1 trichlor somewhere in the back of the locker.

However, some of our folks do not have a shop, may need a pint of refinisher, and would never use up a gallon of toluene, one of xylene, one of acetone, etc.

Intheshop 07-14-2013 11:07 AM

"IF" you are going to use a chemical stripper....and I'm not sayin yay or nay on its appropriateness or effectiveness.....

Do yourself a favor and once the stripper is applied,wrap some plastic kitchen wrap around it.It may seem like an unnecessary step,but it vastly improves the "bite" on the chemical reaction.Especially since this should be done outdoors......you don't want any evaporative action.You want to keep the chemicals biting into the finish.

Remington's RKW finish is right tuff.To the point that,when looking at pricing for stock work on these,you usually see an upcharge for their "stripping".

C3,I thought it was funny.

sunsoutgunsout 07-14-2013 09:03 PM

Haha thanks guys! I'll be sure to try it when i get time!