spot rust help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > spot rust help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default spot rust help

I've got a rifle that, when I got it, left a little to be desired. It looked like it had been carried alot, but the bluing was prety nice still. I refinished the wood, and now I've got a rifle I'm proud of.....with one exception.

At the front of the reciever where you'd cary a rifle at there's a bunch of tiny rust spots. I've cleaned it off and oiled, but the spots keep coming back more visable again. Is there a way to fix this so it doesn't do this without a total new blue job?

2013-01-25-15.03.23.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

only way I know of to keep rust from coming back is to not leave the raw metal exposed. Put some kind of finish on it ... blueing or duracoating

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You could stop oxygen from getting to those spots. Oil does that. Varnish, plastic coating, paint anything that stops the oxygen.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #4

Likes Given: 1

Hunt....

There are easy ways to do this with good success. Go to any sporting goods store and pick up one of the gun bluing kits. They generally come with a cleanser and bluing compound in two small bottles. Outers makes one that's widely aval.
Get some 0000 steel wool. Clean the area with the cleaner/degreaser. Wipe. Then dip the wool into bluing and rub on spots. Keep plenty of bluing on area for about five mins. Preheat the area first with a hair dryer. Once rust is removed oil the area.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1088 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka333 View Post
Hunt....

There are easy ways to do this with good success. Go to any sporting goods store and pick up one of the gun bluing kits. They generally come with a cleanser and bluing compound in two small bottles. Outers makes one that's widely aval.
Get some 0000 steel wool. Clean the area with the cleaner/degreaser. Wipe. Then dip the wool into bluing and rub on spots. Keep plenty of bluing on area for about five mins. Preheat the area first with a hair dryer. Once rust is removed oil the area.
VERY GOOD FIRST POST!

Welcome!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka333 View Post
Hunt....

jka, Thanks for the info! I just wanted to let you guys know I've got the material to try this, just havn't gotten to it yet. I'll post up the results when I do.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Default new rifle...rust spots

Huntmaster....

see my post below.
jka

Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

see my post below

Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

JKA, any more advice? It seems I missed your additional information.

I had wondered how perma blue would work with the existing finish, so I pulled the feed tube cap first to blue the edges that always get worn away. The worn areas turned a nice black, while the bluing turned blue. On the end cap it's ok, but on my reciever, this isn't going to blend well. Any further advice?

BTW, I have done some work on the screws on this rifle, and it really does make a difference to have those cleaned up and looking right.

Last edited by huntmaster; 02-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

Liked 112 Times on 71 Posts

Nothing you can do, short of a complete professional refinish, will be satisfactory.
Cold blues won't match or blend. Better to leave it alone keep it oiled.