Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   spot rust help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/spot-rust-help-82440/)

huntmaster 01-25-2013 08:11 PM

spot rust help

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a rifle that, when I got it, left a little to be desired. It looked like it had been carried alot, but the bluing was prety nice still. I refinished the wood, and now I've got a rifle I'm proud of.....with one exception.

At the front of the reciever where you'd cary a rifle at there's a bunch of tiny rust spots. I've cleaned it off and oiled, but the spots keep coming back more visable again. Is there a way to fix this so it doesn't do this without a total new blue job?

dog2000tj 01-25-2013 11:40 PM

only way I know of to keep rust from coming back is to not leave the raw metal exposed. Put some kind of finish on it ... blueing or duracoating :)

hiwall 01-26-2013 12:06 AM

You could stop oxygen from getting to those spots. Oil does that. Varnish, plastic coating, paint anything that stops the oxygen.

jka333 01-26-2013 03:38 AM

Hunt....

There are easy ways to do this with good success. Go to any sporting goods store and pick up one of the gun bluing kits. They generally come with a cleanser and bluing compound in two small bottles. Outers makes one that's widely aval.
Get some 0000 steel wool. Clean the area with the cleaner/degreaser. Wipe. Then dip the wool into bluing and rub on spots. Keep plenty of bluing on area for about five mins. Preheat the area first with a hair dryer. Once rust is removed oil the area.

AR10 01-26-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jka333 (Post 1110537)
Hunt....

There are easy ways to do this with good success. Go to any sporting goods store and pick up one of the gun bluing kits. They generally come with a cleanser and bluing compound in two small bottles. Outers makes one that's widely aval.
Get some 0000 steel wool. Clean the area with the cleaner/degreaser. Wipe. Then dip the wool into bluing and rub on spots. Keep plenty of bluing on area for about five mins. Preheat the area first with a hair dryer. Once rust is removed oil the area.

VERY GOOD FIRST POST!

Welcome!

huntmaster 02-01-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jka333 (Post 1110537)
Hunt....

jka, Thanks for the info! I just wanted to let you guys know I've got the material to try this, just havn't gotten to it yet. I'll post up the results when I do.

jka333 02-01-2013 12:07 PM

new rifle...rust spots

Huntmaster....

see my post below.
jka

jka333 02-01-2013 12:08 PM

see my post below

huntmaster 02-07-2013 04:22 PM

JKA, any more advice? It seems I missed your additional information.

I had wondered how perma blue would work with the existing finish, so I pulled the feed tube cap first to blue the edges that always get worn away. The worn areas turned a nice black, while the bluing turned blue. On the end cap it's ok, but on my reciever, this isn't going to blend well. Any further advice?

BTW, I have done some work on the screws on this rifle, and it really does make a difference to have those cleaned up and looking right.

BillDeShivs 02-07-2013 06:57 PM

Nothing you can do, short of a complete professional refinish, will be satisfactory.
Cold blues won't match or blend. Better to leave it alone keep it oiled.