Snakeskin cut slide - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Snakeskin cut slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
There's a huge difference between taking up for them, and telling the truth. The slide walls actually look a touch thicker than a 1911 (by the MKI Eyeball visual sensory device) and their steel is actually pretty decent quality, the same grade that many 1911's are made of.
Well iv never had a 1911 blow apart in my hands so........

Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Well iv never had a 1911 blow apart in my hands so........
That's because they have fully supported chambers...

Old 12-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

That's because they have fully supported chambers...
Very true. 99% of em isn't polymer neither

Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #14

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

To the OP;

The tennifer (spelling?) process hardens the slide which is made of high quality tool steel, to a similar Rockwell hardess of a diamond. I'm not sure of the sidewall thickness. It is recommended to buy a replacement slide from capsain(spelling?) that are not as hard. It is reported that modifying the slides, eat up tools, money, and time due to the hardness. Good luck, then post pics.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Marlinman, you can't hate on Glock, they make good guns, don't get me wrong I'd take a 1911 over a Glock any day, but you have to give them credit, they make a reliable, robust, inexpensive combat gun.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Marlinman, you can't hate on Glock, they make good guns, don't get me wrong I'd take a 1911 over a Glock any day, but you have to give them credit, they make a reliable, robust, inexpensive combat gun.
If Glocks are what floats your boat then use them. Ill stick to guns I've never had blow up on me or break in my hands.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

If Glocks are what floats your boat then use them. Ill stick to guns I've never had blow up on me or break in my hands.
I'll choose 1911 over Glock any day but Glock is not a bad gun is all I'm saying

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #18

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

At least if you are going to hate on Glocks stick to facts. They have solid steel slides that are machined, with one of the best protective surface metal treatments out there.

A 1911 can Kaboom too.

I love 1911s. But there is enough misinformation ou there that we don't need to spread more by indicating that Glock slides are made out of pot metal, or aluminum or thin gauge steel.

Glock slide facts:
"The rectangular slide is milled from a single block of ordnance-grade steel using CNC machinery.[32] The barrel and slide are treated with a proprietary nitriding process called Tenifer. The slide and barrel undergo two hardening processes prior to the Tenifer treatment, applied in a 500 °C nitrate bath.[31] The Tenifer finish is between 0.04 mm (0.0016 in) and 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) in thickness, and is characterized by extreme resistance to wear and corrosion; it penetrates the metal, and treated parts have similar properties even below the surface to a certain depth.[33] The Tenifer process produces a matte gray-colored, non-glare surface with a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating and a 99% resistance to salt water corrosion (which meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications),[32] making the Glock particularly suitable for individuals carrying the pistol concealed as the highly chloride-resistant finish allows the pistol to better endure the effects of perspiration.[33] Glock pistols with their Tenifer treatment are more corrosion-resistant than analogous guns on the market with any other type of finish, including Teflon, bluing, hard chrome plating, phosphates and other alloys.[33] After applying the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized decorative surface finish is applied. The underlaying Tenifer treatment will remain protecting these parts even if the decorative surface finish were to wear off.[5]" -quoted from the Wikipedia website.

If you don't like 'em fine. Just don't lie about 'em. There are enough features and characteristics that can be legitimately disliked that you would not stand alone, without the misinformation.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
At least if you are going to hate on Glocks stick to facts. They have solid steel slides that are machined, with one of the best protective surface metal treatments out there.

A 1911 can Kaboom too.

I love 1911s. But there is enough misinformation ou there that we don't need to spread more by indicating that Glock slides are made out of pot metal, or aluminum or thin gauge steel.

Glock slide facts:
"The rectangular slide is milled from a single block of ordnance-grade steel using CNC machinery.[32] The barrel and slide are treated with a proprietary nitriding process called Tenifer. The slide and barrel undergo two hardening processes prior to the Tenifer treatment, applied in a 500 °C nitrate bath.[31] The Tenifer finish is between 0.04 mm (0.0016 in) and 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) in thickness, and is characterized by extreme resistance to wear and corrosion; it penetrates the metal, and treated parts have similar properties even below the surface to a certain depth.[33] The Tenifer process produces a matte gray-colored, non-glare surface with a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating and a 99% resistance to salt water corrosion (which meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications),[32] making the Glock particularly suitable for individuals carrying the pistol concealed as the highly chloride-resistant finish allows the pistol to better endure the effects of perspiration.[33] Glock pistols with their Tenifer treatment are more corrosion-resistant than analogous guns on the market with any other type of finish, including Teflon, bluing, hard chrome plating, phosphates and other alloys.[33] After applying the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized decorative surface finish is applied. The underlaying Tenifer treatment will remain protecting these parts even if the decorative surface finish were to wear off.[5]" -quoted from the Wikipedia website.

If you don't like 'em fine. Just don't lie about 'em. There are enough features and characteristics that can be legitimately disliked that you would not stand alone, without the misinformation.
I think this proves that 1911's and Glock's are both great guns and both can eventually break- it is rare because both are made with such great craftsmanship, in my opinion 1911 will beat a Glock any day, but that is my opinion, others may like Glock and that is a great choice too.

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #20

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Nah bro, GLOCK will never be the gun that even the sorriest 1911 is...