The Sistema 1911 Ceramacoat Project - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > The Sistema 1911 Ceramacoat Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It won't be going back together until I get a new plunger spring from Brownell's. I wrapped the wire around the spring as a way to hole the safety and slide stop plungers to coat. Consequently, the spring is quite tweaked.

I just ordered it and a 16lb. recoil spring from Brownell's and will cool my jets until it arrives. The recoil spring that's in there now seems overpowered, so I'll see how it operates with the lighter spring. I don't shoot +P's in it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

How's the Systema coming along Don? Any luck getting your photobucket acct up and running?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just got home from the retreat, so I don't know about Photobucket yet. I'll have it back together this week sometime and will post pics somehow.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I just got home from the retreat, so I don't know about Photobucket yet. I'll have it back together this week sometime and will post pics somehow.
Cool. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm having some problems reassembling it for some reason. The issue has been the thumb safety. It would not engage properly. So I disassembled everything and will start over on the frame.

Unfortunately, I scratched up the safety and the frame a bit removing it. So, I just ordered another can of CeramaCoat and will redo the parts then try again.

I don't know why the thumb safety was jamming, because it was hand fitted by the smith that customized the pistol for me.

If I still have trouble on the second try, I'll bring it to my friend and have him reassemble it for me. However, I really want to do it myself and get it right. I realize that I'm not a gunsmith and have limited skills, but it should go back together simply enough.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome back CA, good to see you getting on with this project.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Duner. Right now, it's one step forward and two steps back.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know the feeling CA. I'm trying to redo an old revolver and every time I try and fix it up, I find something else that needs work. Sorry to hear it didnt come out at planned. I know the feeling of wanting to put it back together yourself, you get the feeling of knowing your pistol better and all that good stuff.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now, I have to re-Cerama-Coat the frame, thumb safety and mainspring housing. I buggered them up trying to reassemble then disassemble them again.

I think I know what I did wrong. When I reinstalled the thumb safety, I had to jam it in. I think it must have needed finesse, not force. Anyway, I think that was the problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
ccr

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tolerences may be the problem you may have to sand some of the finish out of the holes before installing the parts

Cummings Custom Refinishing Quality Affordable Firearms Refinishing 423-639-8924
3351 Asheville Hwy Greeneville Tn 37743
www.ccrrefinishing.com