Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > The Sistema 1911 Ceramacoat Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default The Sistema 1911 Ceramacoat Project

When I had my Sistema 1911 customized, the 'smith blued it as part of the job. It was a matte blue and I tried to convince myself that I liked it, but I never really did. The pistol also had an very large import mark on the left side of the slide.

So after hearing a suggestion about JB Weld and filling the mark, that's what I did. I filled it, then filed and sanded it down and the photos show it now. It is still somewhat there, but I got it down low enough and filled enough that I'm hoping it will disappear when I apply the Ceramacoat.

Tomorrow, I'm going to my buddy's place to Ceramacoat and bake it. He's a bachelor and I can smell his house up, rather than take heat from my wife about stinking up ours.

I'll take the camera and take some pics along the way as I do the process.

Pics:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-19-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For some reason, the pics aren't showing up from Photobucket.

BTW, the Ceramacoat is from Midway, the price was $28.99 plus shipping.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-17-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try using ImageShack. I want to see what the results look like. Been wondering if the baking stuff is any good compared to dip-tank bluing and what-not.

ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just tried to upload pics again and no joy. For some reason, Photobucket uploads aren't working for me this weekend. Anyway, I'll be doing the deal this afternoon.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just finished detail stripping it and used Hoppe's Elite to clean all the parts. I filed down the areas on both sides of the frame where the grip safety fits as it seemed to be rubbing the finish off the sides of the safety. I also filed and sanded (#320 grit) some of the dings and knots that were still there.

It's a 51 year old pistol, so it won't ever be perfect, but I wanted to clean it up as best as I could.

Now I have to wait until later to hit my buddy's place. I'll use BrakeClean on it and blow it off with the compressor before applying the ceramacoat.

I bought mechanic's wire yesterday for hanging the parts to be sprayed and I'll have to de-grease the wire as well.

I'll take pictures and hopefully Photobucket will get a grip and I'll be able to post them.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out Don. When I've used the Gun Kote bake on, by holding the can farther away and "dusting" on light coats over a heavier base coat, the imperfections seems to almost disappear.

I'll be curious to see how the Ceramacoat works on the JB Weld.

No luck on finding a machine shop to let you aluminum oxide blast the slide flats? That would really blend in the steel and JB Weld.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think it will pretty much go away. I'll use light coats.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just got home. Three coats, half an hour dry time in between, then one hour at 350 degrees in the oven. I checked it several times while the parts baked, because if it's too hot, the parts will turn brown.

I have the parts laid out and took pics of before, the parts hanging to be sprayed and just now, the finished parts. They came out a pretty nice matte black. I just followed the directions and as was said here and also in the directions, sprayed light coats.

The import mark has pretty much disappeared. I'm so compulsive that I can still see bit of a line, but I don't think anybody else will unless it's pointed out. It's pretty much vanished.

Tomorrow, I'll assemble it when I have my wits about me. Right now, I'm tired. I keep forgetting that I had surgery three weeks ago and overdoing things.

Hopefully Photobucket will get their act together, or I'll find another deal and upload them from one of the ones that was suggested here.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I just got home. Three coats, half an hour dry time in between, then one hour at 350 degrees in the oven. I checked it several times while the parts baked, because if it's too hot, the parts will turn brown.

I have the parts laid out and took pics of before, the parts hanging to be sprayed and just now, the finished parts. They came out a pretty nice matte black. I just followed the directions and as was said here and also in the directions, sprayed light coats.

The import mark has pretty much disappeared. I'm so compulsive that I can still see bit of a line, but I don't think anybody else will unless it's pointed out. It's pretty much vanished.

Tomorrow, I'll assemble it when I have my wits about me. Right now, I'm tired. I keep forgetting that I had surgery three weeks ago and overdoing things.

Hopefully Photobucket will get their act together, or I'll find another deal and upload them from one of the ones that was suggested here.
Glad the JB Weld thing worked, Don. That was just a wild idea, you know? Ha.

I sent some Photobucket pics earlier just fine. Did not load any new ones, though. Can't wait to see some pics of the finished product.

How does the finish feel?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It feels quite smooth and kind of looks like the black finish on the Para Ordinance 1911's, maybe slightly more matte. I'll take some pictures in daylight tomorrow and will hopefully be able to post them. I don't know how it will wear and hold up, but it looks pretty darn good. I did the best that I could with it.

BTW, I'm PO'd that I paid an additional $200. for the 'smith to blue it and it was crap. I'm writing it off to experience, but I don't have to like it.