Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Sig P226 Refinish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Sig P226 Refinish

The Sistema project is on hold for now, so I decided my next victim would be my new/used P226.

It was an Agency trade in and it had many scratches and dings as well as holster wear. So, I cleaned it up with file and emory cloth, completely de-greased it and disassembled it into components.

I'm using matte finish CeramaCoat from Wheeler Engineering for a finish. I just applied a light first coat and expect to do two more to get it well covered. Then it will bake for an hour at 350 degrees to harden.

My camera is messed up right now, but I will post pics of the completed pistol. In the meantime, here's two before pictures. The pics don't do justice to how badly it's dinged up, but they do show the holster wear pretty well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's finished. I couldn't get pics of the process, but the parts were disassembled, de-greased and then coated. All parts were then baked for an hour at 350 degrees.

It's lubed and reassembled. When it was done, I sprayed a coat of G96 on it and wiped it down. It has resumed nightstand duty. I hope to get to the range tomorrow or maybe Monday. I'm sure it will be okay since it seems to work just fine when I dry fired it.

I changed out the Hogue grips for the new style factory 226 grips. I like the feel and they seem to fit me better.

Anyway, here's a couple of bad photos of the finished pistol:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's two better photos showing more detail.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

Liked 4430 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Nice Job CA!

Looks as good as the factory finish on my 226!

Enjoy

TACK

sig-sauer-p226-.40-s-w.jpg  

Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Looks pretty darn good..

Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to give a refinish job a try. I just don't know what all I need to do it!

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 05-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is the stuff I used: Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat 4 oz Aerosol Black - MidwayUSA It's on sale right now as a matter of fact.

One can is supposed to be enough to do two pistols, but I found it really only does one plus a bit.

It's simple really. Just disassemble and de-grease the pistol. I use brake cleaner for this type of de-greasing. I used mechanics wire to hold the parts. I made hooks on the wire to hold the parts on the supports of a step ladder so I could spray all sides. Then those same hooks held the parts on the oven rack. Bake for an hour at 350* than let them cool and reassemble.

However, I did have trouble getting my 1911 back together and it's a much less complicated pistol. So, if you aren't comfortable doing this stuff, you may want to have someone else do it for you.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Wow CA, that looks very nice! It looks so close to factory. I might have to take your advice and try it out on one of my mil-surp pieces and see how it comes out.

Inspired

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Agent H. It's really pretty simple. Putting it back together can be a hassle, but it's doable.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks great, nice work!