Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Engraving & Refinishing (
-   -   Sig P226 Refinish (

CA357 05-29-2010 11:07 PM

Sig P226 Refinish
The Sistema project is on hold for now, so I decided my next victim would be my new/used P226.

It was an Agency trade in and it had many scratches and dings as well as holster wear. So, I cleaned it up with file and emory cloth, completely de-greased it and disassembled it into components.

I'm using matte finish CeramaCoat from Wheeler Engineering for a finish. I just applied a light first coat and expect to do two more to get it well covered. Then it will bake for an hour at 350 degrees to harden.

My camera is messed up right now, but I will post pics of the completed pistol. In the meantime, here's two before pictures. The pics don't do justice to how badly it's dinged up, but they do show the holster wear pretty well.

CA357 05-30-2010 04:18 AM

It's finished. I couldn't get pics of the process, but the parts were disassembled, de-greased and then coated. All parts were then baked for an hour at 350 degrees.

It's lubed and reassembled. When it was done, I sprayed a coat of G96 on it and wiped it down. It has resumed nightstand duty. I hope to get to the range tomorrow or maybe Monday. I'm sure it will be okay since it seems to work just fine when I dry fired it.

I changed out the Hogue grips for the new style factory 226 grips. I like the feel and they seem to fit me better.

Anyway, here's a couple of bad photos of the finished pistol:

CA357 05-30-2010 05:28 AM

Here's two better photos showing more detail.

Tackleberry1 05-30-2010 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice Job CA!

Looks as good as the factory finish on my 226!

DrumJunkie 05-30-2010 08:43 AM

Looks pretty darn good..

RadioActiV 05-30-2010 09:56 AM

I'd like to give a refinish job a try. I just don't know what all I need to do it!:D

CA357 05-30-2010 02:00 PM

This is the stuff I used: Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat 4 oz Aerosol Black - MidwayUSA It's on sale right now as a matter of fact.

One can is supposed to be enough to do two pistols, but I found it really only does one plus a bit.

It's simple really. Just disassemble and de-grease the pistol. I use brake cleaner for this type of de-greasing. I used mechanics wire to hold the parts. I made hooks on the wire to hold the parts on the supports of a step ladder so I could spray all sides. Then those same hooks held the parts on the oven rack. Bake for an hour at 350* than let them cool and reassemble.

However, I did have trouble getting my 1911 back together and it's a much less complicated pistol. So, if you aren't comfortable doing this stuff, you may want to have someone else do it for you.

Agent_H 06-14-2010 02:56 AM

Wow CA, that looks very nice! It looks so close to factory. I might have to take your advice and try it out on one of my mil-surp pieces and see how it comes out.

CA357 06-14-2010 03:01 AM

Thanks Agent H. It's really pretty simple. Putting it back together can be a hassle, but it's doable.

lonyaeger 06-14-2010 03:30 AM

Looks great, nice work!