Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Severn custom, stainless vs. carbon vs. Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Severn custom, stainless vs. carbon vs. Alaska

I'm currently stationed in Alaska, not leaving anytime soon, and I'm building a 1911. Most of the parts, Damascus slide and barrel have been secured. I still need the frame, and it'll be Caspian. They have the carbon, stainless and titanium, but the last one does nothing for me really. The finish is going to be severn custom hard hat finish, so it'll be the same visually either way. I'm assuming you guys know to somed degree the different traits, but the environment up here goes from balls cold to warm and moist and terrible for unmaintained guns. Why one over the other, or will the finish make where it doesn't even matter?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

There might be long periods of time that you can't maintain your weapons. For a long periods of time I had to visit my relatives to see my guns. I just carried a pocket pistol. My brother took care of the high maintenance guns or I would have sold them.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #3

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

A damascus slide and barrel are the worst choices you could make. Damascus is not particularly strong, and you will have basically unfinished carbon steel exposed to the elements.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Barrel is not Damascus, and the site listed it as stainless. Still, I get what you're saying. I have several people who offered to take care of them if necessary, but I'd like to like it to be as durable as possible. I made it suppressor ready, so the it'll only be using range or quality subsonic rounds, so I'm not to terribly concerned with wearing it out.