Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Sealskin? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/sealskin-78849/)

trip286 12-19-2012 02:34 AM

Sealskin?

I called a local 'smith, to ask about blueing, and how much it would cost.
First off, is $135ish a decent price for the full job, from stripping to finished product?

Second, while he had me on the phone, he tried to pitch "sealskin" to me. From the description he gave me, it sounds almost exactly like cerakote. He was telling me that "all the special forces use it" (which I know to be... less than accurate), and was extolling all the virtues of it, and saying only 6 shops in the US are authorized by the company to use it... and for the same price as a blue job. Oh, and I can do any color I want, even bi and tri tone if I wanted...

Now, I looked on google, and asked around with a few other people I know, and I can't find anything on it at all.

Is this 'smith full of it? If so, moral question: I'm not doing any kind of "sealskin" or cerakot, duracoat, parkerizing... any of that. I was asking because I'm considering having my gun stripped (it's currently parkerized) and blued. So, if he's full of crap, should I even use him? It's the same guy who sold me the polymer MSH supposedly off a Colt (I don't care, it was $5 for me), but he also told me "everyone is going polymer these days, it reduces the overall weight of your gun". I replied "I bought a full sized steel framed and slide 1911. I don't care about a couple ounces". He then went on to tell me "you can hardly even find steel MSH anymore". Yeah right, buddy, I browse midway and brownell's all the time...

So, I already know he's a bit of a tool. But the MSH he sold to me for $5 and I like it (other than it being plastic). Even though he's doing good work in finishing, and I've seen some of his finishing work, it really is quite good, would you use a 'smith like this?

Furthermore, has anyone ever heard of "Sealskin"?

canebrake 12-19-2012 02:37 AM

What gun? :confused:

CA357 12-19-2012 02:39 AM

I've never heard of sealskin, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or the quality of the stuff. Blue is better, no matter what. As far as price, that's a pretty good price here in these parts. If he does good bluing, have him blue it. But I wouldn't trust his word on much.

trip286 12-19-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 1057320)
What gun? :confused:

Springer Milspec. Or was that a rhetorical since I lost all my guns on a tragic boating trip?

trip286 12-19-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 1057322)
I've never heard of sealskin, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or the quality of the stuff. Blue is better, no matter what. As far as price, that's a pretty good price here in these parts. If he does good bluing, have him blue it. But I wouldn't trust his word on much.

In your opinion, is blue better than parked? I know it's prettier, which is why I'm considering it, but I'm broke all the time, which is also why I'm in the "considering it" stage...

CA357 12-19-2012 02:55 AM

For a MilSpec I prefer parkerized. An SA MilSpec was my first 1911 and I loved the way the finish wore and turned that beautiful gray green.

trip286 12-19-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 1057356)
For a MilSpec I prefer parkerized. An SA MilSpec was my first 1911 and I loved the way the finish wore and turned that beautiful gray green.

Yeah, that's one of the things I'm looking forward to. I'm not going to keep it completely milspec though. One day I'll replace that silly polymer MSH with a flat steel one, a beaver tail is going to be an absolute must, and I may or may not upgrade the sights, I'm still undecided on that.

I think I may just take it in to him tomorrow and talk face to face some more. He is maybe...less than honest, but I've seen his work. Pair that with him being just about the only game in town, and... What's a man to do?

There is one other smith in town, but it seems like he's impossible to get to. He's never at work. I know some take their work home with them, but they should still be able to be reached somehow. It's just a crap shoot to catch him in his shop. Oh, he's rude too.

CA357 12-19-2012 04:35 AM

Is it badly worn? I mean, so worn that it needs to be refinished? The beauty of Parkerizing is the way it holds oil and changes color. Have you been oiling it?

JMHO, but I'd put the money into the sights, beavertail and hammer. I wouldn't even concern myself with the MSH unless it somehow broke.

And anyway, honest wear on a pistol gives it integrity. ;)

CA357 12-19-2012 04:37 AM

BTW, I sent my MilSpec to Novak's and had the sights changed out. IIRC, I just sent the slide and it didn't take very long or cost very much.

trip286 12-19-2012 04:42 AM

It's wearing quite rapidly, but not nearly bad enough to need refinishing yet. The sharp edges near the muzzle on the slide are getting shiny, and the trigger guard where the holster retains it.

And the MSH, going from arched to flat was a major improvement. I'll never use an arched one again. I just don't care for plastic, especially on an otherwise all wood and steel gun.

I do oil it. I use 90 weight gear oil. Scrub it in, and thoroughly wipe off the excess, but never leaving it dry.