sandpaper=bad?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > sandpaper=bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default sandpaper=bad?

Why is it bad to use sandpaper when you're removing the old finish from your gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Because to put a new finish on it it needs to be very smooth. Sandpaper will leave deep scratches that need to buffed out to a glass smooth finish. Removing the sandpaper scratches will remove more metal than needed.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 AM   #3

About 95% of the polishing I do is done with paper but I chemically strip the bluing first. Unless I have to do some draw filing, the lowest grit I start with is 320 then I go up from there. Something that helps cut done on the gouging is to use good quality paper with a lubricant. My favorite is a 1:1 mix of kerosene and dark cutting oil, both can be found at a hardware store. Also, when I get close to the desired finish I switch to micron graded paper. The grit is kept at a very uniform height to it doesn't gouge and leaves a very even polish. A piece of micron 320 grit cuts like worn 400 grit in standard paper. Over the years I've buffers to do a lot of work, mostly because of the speed, but I prefer to polish by hand.

David
www.dcengraving.com