Is this rust or is the bluing partially gone? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Is this rust or is the bluing partially gone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21213 Times on 12044 Posts
Likes Given: 52936

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx View Post
I'll definitely check it out. Thanks again.
check out MidwayUSA as they carry it. they also carry alot of good products for firearms. the service is great, the shipping is pretty fast, and their prices are decent. i order quite a bit items from them on pretty regular basis. i am very pleased with them and are my first choice when it comes to firearms related items.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
check out MidwayUSA as they carry it. they also carry alot of good products for firearms. the service is great, the shipping is pretty fast, and their prices are decent. i order quite a bit items from them on pretty regular basis. i am very pleased with them and are my first choice when it comes to firearms related items.
Do they deal in parts too? I couldn't find all my parts through brownells or numrich and was looking for another site to use. I will definitely check it out though. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Do they deal in parts too? I couldn't find all my parts through brownells or numrich and was looking for another site to use. I will definitely check it out though. Thanks.
depends on the firearm and the parts you need. they carry quite lot of parts for the most common firearms.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
depends on the firearm and the parts you need. they carry quite lot of parts for the most common firearms.
Ok, I will definitely have a look. Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Ok, I will definitely have a look. Thanks again.
BTW, order the catalog while there too. get Brownell's to send you a catalog too.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Try some 0000 steel wool (really fine) and some hoppes 9, or similar solvent. You can remove the blue with too much elbow grease, but it works great on rust. Some of that red maybe due to the rust that formed started to change the blue color of the finish. But the steel wool and hoppes should get most of the red off, and use the strongest degreaser you have before using the cold blue (I use MEK- methyl ethyl ketone). Any oil or solvent will make the cold blue come out poorly. It should make it hard to notice the damage done until you're looking closely at the gun. I have also found that letting the cold blue sit overnight before wiping it off really helps the color darken to match the hot blue. Wipe gently with a lightly oiled cloth (rem oil or CLP are great for this) and it should look pretty good.

Hot bluing is rather expensive because hand polishing all the small parts, and uneven surfaces takes a lot of man hours to do it right. You might ask if it would be cheaper to just bead blast it and then blue it. It will be a matte finish, but would help hide the pitting with an even consistent color, and save you a bit of money.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Try some 0000 steel wool (really fine) and some hoppes 9, or similar solvent. You can remove the blue with too much elbow grease, but it works great on rust. Some of that red maybe due to the rust that formed started to change the blue color of the finish. But the steel wool and hoppes should get most of the red off, and use the strongest degreaser you have before using the cold blue (I use MEK- methyl ethyl ketone). Any oil or solvent will make the cold blue come out poorly. It should make it hard to notice the damage done until you're looking closely at the gun. I have also found that letting the cold blue sit overnight before wiping it off really helps the color darken to match the hot blue. Wipe gently with a lightly oiled cloth (rem oil or CLP are great for this) and it should look pretty good.

Hot bluing is rather expensive because hand polishing all the small parts, and uneven surfaces takes a lot of man hours to do it right. You might ask if it would be cheaper to just bead blast it and then blue it. It will be a matte finish, but would help hide the pitting with an even consistent color, and save you a bit of money.
Thanks for all the info. I definitely have to find a decent smith around here to deal with there is like no one around here which sucks. Otherwise, I will definitely try my best and hopefully it all works out with the coldblue. Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #28

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To some collectors it's called patina.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I know this is coming in a bit late but a great source for parts, especially on older firearms, would be:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I know this is coming in a bit late but a great source for parts, especially on older firearms, would be:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
^^
Thanks for the info. I will check it out.