Is this rust or is the bluing partially gone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Is this rust or is the bluing partially gone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is this rust or is the bluing partially gone?

I fully cleaned this last night now I went to deal with the rust issue on it and I worked at it probably for 20 minutes with oil but there was absolutely no difference. I know that it would take much longer for it all to go away. This then brought me to the thought that maybe the bluing had partially come off due to misuse and previous rusting? Thoughts on what to do with it to make it look nice again?

100_0491.jpg   100_0490.jpg   100_0489.jpg  

Last edited by xcoreyyyx; 06-09-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9199 Times on 3969 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

It is both. Bluing is black iron oxide, rust is red iron oxide. You can use a COPPER chore boy pot scubber and light oil to get rust off, but bluing is history in those spots.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #3

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

I agree with c3. Probably would not be too hard to clean it up. You could also use a cold blue to touch it up.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #4

Not sure what kind of rifle that is from the limited pics. Is that a nylon 66 by any chance? If it is something valuable I would be careful about refinishing it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Not sure what kind of rifle that is from the limited pics. Is that a nylon 66 by any chance? If it is something valuable I would be careful about refinishing it.
Yes, its a nylon66. It was absolutely disgusting yesterday. I spent several hours overnight to clean the insides up. Now I just have to do its outside. I have several guns that need blued. I hope I can make a deal with a smith around here to do all of them for me.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
It is both. Bluing is black iron oxide, rust is red iron oxide. You can use a COPPER chore boy pot scubber and light oil to get rust off, but bluing is history in those spots.
Thanks. Ill have to pick that up.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #7

I have done some of mine with Birchwood Casey's Cold Blue. It doesnt make them look new again. But it is a pretty major improvment. Might be something to play around with.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have done some of mine with Birchwood Casey's Cold Blue. It doesnt make them look new again. But it is a pretty major improvment. Might be something to play around with.
I hear that coldbluing isn't as good as hotbluing so I figure I will go and get a quote(after I find a smith around here) and if it is too pricey then I will just cold blue a few of my guns but I will definitely check it out. They sell it on brownells i'm assuming?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx View Post
I hear that coldbluing isn't as good as hotbluing so I figure I will go and get a quote(after I find a smith around here) and if it is too pricey then I will just cold blue a few of my guns but I will definitely check it out. They sell it on brownells i'm assuming?
Yes it's sold by Brownells and also MidwayUSA has it.. Another good cold blue to look at will be Brownells OWN brand Oxpho Blue. Good stuff and leaves a good dark finish. A ball park price for reblueing your firearms is gonna run around $200 per firearm or higher. That's for a hot blue job. Just something to consider..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Yes it's sold by Brownells and also MidwayUSA has it.. Another good cold blue to look at will be Brownells OWN brand Oxpho Blue. Good stuff and leaves a good dark finish. A ball park price for reblueing your firearms is gonna run around $200 per firearm or higher. That's for a hot blue job. Just something to consider..
Yeah, well then, I may just have to go with coldbluing. Thanks for the info. I will look into getting some of these from brownells.