restoring a mosin
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > restoring a mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default restoring a mosin

picked up this hex mosin this weekend and im going to use it as a restoration and try and make it look nicer. so far ive stripped off the shellac coating using denatured alcohol then 100 gritted it to get what littl remains off. still need to use fine grit to smooth it out.

by next weekend it should be ready for whatever color. but im stuck at what finish to use.

anyone got some suggestions?? pics would be ideal. i want it to really stand out at the range.

here is the stock as it sits now still got some very small nooks to remove shellac and of course final sanding.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-04-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #2

Jon,
While I am certainly no expert, I did get some good advice on restoring my Mosin. After removing the old finish and sanding, I used red oak minwax stain followed by 8 coats of Tru Oil. I used 0000 steel wool between coats to lightly sand the finish after allowing a couple hours of drying time. This process worked pretty well for me, hope it helps.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel4747
Jon,
While I am certainly no expert, I did get some good advice on restoring my Mosin. After removing the old finish and sanding, I used red oak minwax stain followed by 8 coats of Tru Oil. I used 0000 steel wool between coats to lightly sand the finish after allowing a couple hours of drying time. This process worked pretty well for me, hope it helps.
Here is the after picture.
image-3350527928.jpg  

Old 03-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Tru-oil works great. I've used it many times. I won't bother on a stain selection too many options out there. Just say try it in a small hidden spot first to make sure you like it. If you want a very plain in the stock finish buffing bees wax into the stock works well.

forumrunner_20120304_204717.jpg   forumrunner_20120304_204737.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Tru-oil works great. I've used it many times. I won't bother on a stain selection too many options out there. Just say try it in a small hidden spot first to make sure you like it. If you want a very plain in the stock finish buffing bees wax into the stock works well.
that looks good but im looking for a shiny redder finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel4747 View Post
Here is the after picture.
i like that red. im thinking of a darker red like a red mahogony.

the main sealers im considering are tru oil boiled linseed and tung oil. im leaning towards tung oil.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

tung oil works great too as far as linseed goes it may have been widely used back in the day but its really not a great finish it really doesn't seal or protect very well and requires upkeep

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Minwax makes a red mahogany stain. They also make a waterbased stain called fruit punch (bright red) and china red (deeper dark red). http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

As for the glossy look, it looks like the tru oil is pretty glossy.

You could also use a "CLEAR" shellac (make sure it is clear, regular shellac is a deep amber color). I haven't ever used shellac over stain though, so I don't know how it would turn out. (Be warned, shellac begins to dry in seconds, work fast when using it) I usually apply the first coat, sand it with a high grit sandpaper (320-400), then add a few extra coats. If it doesn't look completely smooht after a coat, just sand it smooth, then add another coat.

Good luck, don't forget to post pics of your progress. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Jon I "normally" use minwax stains on all of my restorations as they seem to have vurtually every color to match the original finishes I've seen on milsurps. Now if I want to go flashy, I use Tru Oil. If I want a nice warm semi flashy finish I use (and prefer most times) BLO... Another option that I like is the hand rubbed paste wax or bees wax finish..

In the end it's all in what you want the end result to look like. But remember, the original finish was shellac..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've heard turtle wax actually works pretty well. Never tried it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

went over to menards (wisconsin version of lowes but cheaper) and picked out a stain that is likely to make the most awesome mosin thats ever existed!! was looking for a dark red and found something better (i hope). if it works out the way i think its gonna be totally awesome. more on it later when it gets a coat or two.

wont be using shellac. the wife has banned me from using it in the house after the last project... i know its original but i want it a little nicer.

picked up some more sandpaper to finish the sanding and found copper and brass sheets for making handguard caps and sling estuchions(sp??). didnt buy any of the sheets yet as i dont know the thickness i need and havent decided on brass or copper.