Reparation of barrel / Walter Olimpia

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Reparation of barrel / Walter Olimpia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Reparation of barrel / Walter Olimpia

Dear friends,

I am new here so excuse me if I didn't get the appropriate place to ask:

I use an old Walter Olimpia pistol but my barrel got broken so I have to repair it. I cut off the chamber and I am going to replace it with a hand made one. I shaped it ruffly but here comes the problem - in fine shaping. I never shaped a chamber before so I don't know exactly what kind of tools I need to use and what order of steps. As far as I read in some forums, there are several types of reamers (for example - "Long Rifle Bentz", "Bentz" only, "Long Rifle Match", etc.) but I am not sure which exactly I need to use in this case.

May you help me with any advices?

Thank you in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

There is a difference in the .22lr casings.
So which ammo are you going to use?
The CCI stinger casing is longer than the "normal" .22lr casing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

riffler Likes This 
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8959 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

The Bentz is a match chamber for a semi-auto, slightly larger overall than a regular minimum-dimension match chamber but still tighter than a standard-size chamber.

There can be a lot of difference between the reamers. Depends on what you want to do with the pistol. For the average shooter, they would likely not greatly benefit from a match chamber, and may experience difficulty in rounds safely chambering in a semi. Bentz is sort of a compromise.

However, we have some REAL gunsmith's around here- I am a hobbyist. I gladly defer to their judgment.

PTG22lrreamerspecs.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

riffler Likes This 
Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

Dear c3shooter,

Thank you for your interesting answers!

I know that the lengths of the casings are different and I know that the Bentz reamer is a compromise. I want to use the longest CCI Stinger and all the rest cartrages so I am considered to compromise.

Excuse me for my bad English - probably I did not explain right the case.

The hole chamber of my pistol is broken so I cut it off at all. Now the barrel is shorter with 25 mm (1 inch) than the original fabric ones.

In this case I need to make a completely new chamber, not just to repair the old one with a Liner (for example - 770-100-022 or similar).

In this case do I have to extend the diameter of the barrel with any specific tool (for example - Liner Drill 361-504-008 or 361-504-000) and than to use a Bentz Finisher Reamer (for example 513-050-016) for making the chamber or, I can make the chamber only with use of the Bentz Finisher Reamer?

Can you tell me in this case what kind of tools I need and what are the steps of the operation to create completely new chamber?

Thank you in advance for your attention and help!

Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

This may assist:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8731460_rechamber-barrel.html

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

Thank you friends!