Repairing a nicked receiver

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Repairing a nicked receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Repairing a nicked receiver

I managed to scratch my favorite air rifle's receiver while trying to install a new breach seal.

A tool has slipped and moved a little metal from the edge of the receiver into the loading port.

I realize the nick is not particularly large - only a few mm - but it's location right in front of the loading port makes it a sore in my eyes.
It's also a little sharp and I have already got a little cut on the back of my index finger while loading a pellet...

You can see here what happened:

I could file down the sharp edge but that would remove material and not fix the nick on the top surface.

What I am thinking is that a few well placed hits with a small punch and a mallet, square on the edge' side would re-displace the metal and hopefully lift the nick on the top surface.

Then I could degrease and cold blue that small area with some Oxpho blue paste on a Q-tip.

What do you guys think?

Dimi

Last edited by Dimitris76; 04-30-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

The process you describe is called "dressing" the metal, and it can work. Will likely not be perfect, may still need a bit of very fine file work, but worth a try. Flat tipped punch, hammer, padded vise.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

like C3 said, it should work fine, but as he stated and i agree, you may need to use a very fine file and lightly dress up the edges a bit. depending on how much area you file, try some steel wool to buff out the surface before trying to touch up the blueing. if you are going to use a Q-tip to apply the blueing, go to an electronics store or a medical supply house and get some. don't use the ones you normally get from a grocery store or wherever, as they have some sort of additive that doesn't allow the blueing to work as well as it should.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Great info!

I am wondering what kind of punch should I use though. You mention flat tipped punch and hammer.
A delicate, controllable hammer for the job would be this http://www.harborfreight.com/double-sided-mallet-with-wooden-handle-98285.html ,right?

What about the punches though?
Would something like these work?
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-punch-set-93424.html
or these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-long-drive-pin-punch-set-93111.html

I need to work in a slight angle so I am afraid that a square cut punch will not be able to restore the vertical edge...

Dimi

Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Good plan. I have used regular Q-tips for many many years with no problems.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Ok regular Q-tips. What about the punch though?

Can I use one of the above punches if I grind it down to a slight angle?

Dimi

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #7

Default Follow up

I did "dress" the metal with a 3/16" pin punch. I wrapped the receiver in a fleece blanket (to protect it from another unfortunate event...) and the all it needed was 3-4 carefully placed blows with a 5 oz. peen hammer.

The sharp edge is gone and my skin does not catch while dragging my finger at any angle.

Then I degreased the area with acetone on a Q-tip, warmed it up with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes, then very carefully rubbed in with the tip of another Q-tip a minuscule amount of Oxpho paste trying not to smear it on the good blued surfaces.

After a few minutes I washed it away with many Q-tips dipped in oil.

yes I know... but that's all I had in the garage...

I think the end result is a pretty decent repair. Keep in mind that these are macro photos with flash that make even the slightest detail to look much worst than in real life.
The blemish is still there but I suspect it's not the cold blueing's fault - it's the repaired surface that doesn't have the same texture like the rest of the receiver so it reflects the light differently.
I don't want to push my luck here so I am not trying to "blend it" in.

Thank you all for your help!

Dimi

Last edited by Dimitris76; 05-06-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #8

Default Follow up

On another note:

Can a gun with laser etched lettering be reblued? What will happen to the lettering?

Dimi

PS Don't answer here. I'll open another thread for this question...

Last edited by Dimitris76; 05-06-2012 at 02:37 AM.