Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > removing the warnings....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Another thought. If for some reason you need to send the gun back to Ruger for repair.They might not work on it unless they put a new barrel on it, if the
"warning" has been removed.I've heard if you send one in that's had trigger job they will change it back to original specs.

Ruger supposedly was told or agreed to the "warning" from a court order from a lawsuit.You hear so much you don't know what to believe.
Bottom line thank all the hungry lawyers out there.

***** NRA Patron Member *****

Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 AM   #12

Redhawk, you're right about the trigger work. I had just finished an action job on a Vaquero and while test firing it, discovered a flaw in one of the chambers. It was bad enough that the fired brass had to be driven out with a punch. It went back to Ruger to have a new cyl. fitted and came back with a new hammer and trigger as well. I had to re-do everything.

The best way to get rid of the stampings is to have the barrel draw filed, re-polished and re-blued.

David

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclevinger View Post
Redhawk, you're right about the trigger work. I had just finished an action job on a Vaquero and while test firing it, discovered a flaw in one of the chambers. It was bad enough that the fired brass had to be driven out with a punch. It went back to Ruger to have a new cyl. fitted and came back with a new hammer and trigger as well. I had to re-do everything.

The best way to get rid of the stampings is to have the barrel draw filed, re-polished and re-blued.

David
I guess that's Ruger's way to C.Y.A.

Even though we don't agree with it,they're going to do it unfortunately.
My thoughts are once that gun is sold to a individual, Ruger(or any other Mfg) shouldn't be allowed to touch or change anything other then it what it was sent back to them for.Allot of people spend hard earned money into getting their guns the way they like them. One trip back to the factory and all that work is ruined.
About the only way around it is take it to a smith,then again some parts are factory fit or exchange only.No win situation at best.

***** NRA Patron Member *****

Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why didn't you simply hone/polish cylinder? The flaw you experienced is actually very rare-so rare I'd never heard of it. While I agree the warnings do detract from looks, I usually don't worry about them. The warnings are easily covered up/filled in. I wasn't aware of that Bill Ruger quote and I'd like to know where to see it-even if Bill Ruger is long since dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclevinger View Post

David

Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #15

The flaw was actually a depression in the cyl. wall. Honing enough to get rid of it would have made the chamber oversize to the point of splitting cases.

You're right about it being rare. I've worked on more Rugers than I can count and it's the only one I've seen. I have no problems with their guns at all, it was just a freak occurrence.

I've also never heard those quotes before. No clue on the validity.

David

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #16

I once saw a warning on a barrel of an AR-15.

"Warning May Cause Cancer in California."