Removing the 'sticky' from a Mosin stock?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Removing the 'sticky' from a Mosin stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Default Removing the 'sticky' from a Mosin stock?

I may be picking up a Mosin Nagant next week and was wondering how to go about making the stock less sticky? Is this the shellac, or just the cosmoline it was bathed in? I want to keep an original look, sorry if this sounds dumb.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They used shellac on the gunstocks.. Remove it with any good quality wood finish remover. Then clean it up, restain it, and apply a few hand rubbed coats of BLO to it ( boiled lindseed oil ) You'll also find some cosmoline so be prep'd to clean it up as well.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Focus on cosmoline removal first.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Or use fine grade sandpaper. 3m makes a 440 block that works wonderful I used it on my Ruger m77 hawkeye stock when I stained and clear coated it

Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

the sticky is just cosmoline type preservative the rooskies use on those rifles.

to remove it put the stock in a black trash bag and put it in the sun to heat up. take it out and wipe down every few hours if you want to really get a bunch of it out.

i just dampen a rag with hoppes #9 and wipe it down. the hoppes will cut the cosmo and leave the shellac alone. however it will continue to seep out of the wood over time and may become sticky again. just repeat the wipe down. just be sure to wipe with a clean cloth after the hoppes is done. you dont want to leave it wet with solvent.

either way works.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

For metal parts I've always used mineral spirits to remove the cosmoline. For wood, hot soapy water has always worked. If it will fit, I've also run stocks through the dish washer. Using a degreaser like simple green works also.. More than likely you will need to remove and reapply shelac if you desire to have that finish on your stock after cleaning so that the finish is even.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to mosin.net or 762x54R.net
They have the process written out to remove cosmoline and a great deal more on mosins. Best sites on the net for it.

45 Junkie