Removing shellac and Tung Oil
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Removing shellac and Tung Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Removing shellac and Tung Oil

I redid some of the Bulgy handguards that I bought. I bleached the wood and applied 4 coats of Tung Oil on the lower HG. I then put about 4 coats of shellac on top. The color of the HG is lighter than the top HG and the stock.

I was thinking of removing the shellac with denatured alcohol and also removing the tung oil. I was also thinking of putting some Tru Oil on the lower HG to darken it a bit and better match the upper HG.

What's the best way to remove the tung oil and shellac? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

One question: Why did you apply shellac over tung oil? To answer your question though, any wood stripper should work for you in removing the finish's that you applied.

Maybe your post was a bit confusing to me. Did you mean that you put T.O. on the lower HG and then Shellac on the upper HG ?

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

As was said, any stripper will remove the finish. I suggest that when you're down to the bare wood that you pick up a small can of stain that closely matches the darker of the woods. If you buy an oil based stain, use an oil finish for your final coats. Tru Oil is a good finish and you can make it as dull or as glossy as you want.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
One question: Why did you apply shellac over tung oil? To answer your question though, any wood stripper should work for you in removing the finish's that you applied.

Maybe your post was a bit confusing to me. Did you mean that you put T.O. on the lower HG and then Shellac on the upper HG ?
Yeah, sorry about the confusion. I put Tung Oil on all the furniture, and then used shellac as a sealer. I'm not sure of that was good or bad, but it looks nice. I just don't care for the color of the lower HG. I have some Bix stripper that I'll use tonight.

My plan was to strip the furniture, and then add the Tru Oil. I think that the Tru Oil will give it the darker hue that's needed to match the upper HG.

When I get home I'll post some pics so you can what I'm working with.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
As was said, any stripper will remove the finish. I suggest that when you're down to the bare wood that you pick up a small can of stain that closely matches the darker of the woods. If you buy an oil based stain, use an oil finish for your final coats. Tru Oil is a good finish and you can make it as dull or as glossy as you want.
Will shellac be ok as a sealer over Tru Oil?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm not sure. Sorry.

If you want to stay with a fairly stock look, just stain the parts with a water based stain to match and then use shellac and be done with it. Oil and then shellac is redundant and really not necessary.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here are some pics of the wood furniture finished in Tung Oil and shellac. After looking at them again, I'm not sure that I should start over. What do you guys think?

img_8967.jpg   img_8940.jpg   img_8955.jpg   img_8971.jpg   img_8958.jpg  

Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There isn't that much difference in the color if the pics are good. If that's the case, call it done and put it back together. It's a rifle, not a piano.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
There isn't that much difference in the color if the pics are good. If that's the case, call it done and put it back together. It's a rifle, not a piano.
Agreed... They look fine to me also.

To answer your question about using shellac as a sealer? It's not necessary. The Tru oil or BLO or Tung Oil would seal the wood just fine. No need to be redundant.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
Here are some pics of the wood furniture finished in Tung Oil and shellac. After looking at them again, I'm not sure that I should start over. What do you guys think?
Here's the bottom line, you have three pieces of furniture with three different grain run directions.

YOU WILL NEVER GET THEM TO MATCH! (Unless you paint them solid.)

Do one of the following two options:
1. Put the damn thing back together and be extremely proud of your work, and justifiably so!

2. If you have a piece that is lighter than the other two, and you MUST try to correct it, strip it completely to bare wood. Take a Bernz-Torch with a flame spreader and LIGHTLY go over the wood to enhance the grain. What happens is the softer pulp wood burns and darkens and the harder grain remains in contrast. GO EASY, don't charcoal the part! After a few passes do a light sanding or steel wool and if more contrast is desired go back after it with the torch.
Remember Occam's razor, or the law of parsimony. In science, the simplest theory that fits the facts of a problem is the one that should be selected. (SEE # 1 above)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello