Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Removing bluing/powdercoat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Alright, I did it. Should've given it a higher gloss polish, looks pretty uneven, but most of that is in the hidden ends of each piece. It's not too noticeable, but I like it. Left the gun blued, stripped the hammer, the trigger, the grip screws and the slide release/catch. Wanted to do the safety and magazine release as well, but they proved to be far too difficult to even remove, so I left alone. LOL

So I lost the safety bearing twice, almost blew my top the second time, took 20min to find. Hahahah

Man I never plan on doing that again with any gun ever. What a job!!! Ugh! Something odd happened when putting slide back on it didn't seem to fit near the trigger assembly, while jimmying it together the hammer, cocked at the time, then released. Very odd, couldn't seem to make it do that again, all safeties appear to be working flawlessly and the slide now fits perfect every time. No clue what was going on, maybe just something settling in. Fingers crossed. Decided I'm going to leave it unloaded until my next trip to the range, and be very cautious with it.

Wish me luck fellas, and thanks again for all the advisements.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-13-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

Okay, today I did a little refresh with wet aluminum foil, really did a good job on it. Not sure how long the finish will hold, but I'm pleased with the outcome. It's hard to capture the look in pictures when the flash goes off, so I took one with and one without flash. Now I just need to figure out how to get the magazine release and safety toggles off and do them too.

forumrunner_20121113_162351.jpg

forumrunner_20121113_162444.jpg

Whatch'all think?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #13

Ah ha, just removed mag release, saying screw the safety, had enough problems with that little bearing the last time.

Just looked into duracoating, may go that route if things start to corrode or look worse. There's a pretty easy shake 'n spray application that seems right up my alley.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #14

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I'd be very careful what I put on the metal, especially harsh liquids that could possibly cause the surface to become pitted. A number of years ago a friend asked if I could remove some bluing from some small parts and I used jeweler's rouge on a rag and just rubbed. It only takes a little elbow grease and time, but the result is beautiful. I've used that method on other occasions.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
I'd be very careful what I put on the metal, especially harsh liquids that could possibly cause the surface to become pitted. A number of years ago a friend asked if I could remove some bluing from some small parts and I used jeweler's rouge on a rag and just rubbed. It only takes a little elbow grease and time, but the result is beautiful. I've used that method on other occasions.
Sounds like another good method.