Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Removing bluing/powdercoat? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/removing-bluing-powdercoat-76230/)

BeyondTheBox 11-12-2012 04:52 PM

Removing bluing/powdercoat?

I'm not even sure what my gun has on it, I assume its bluing but I've never been much into different coatings or finishes on metal, other than chrome vs nickle. Anyway, I'd like to personalize one of my handguns by removing the blue on a few parts, like trigger, hammer, safety, mag release and grip screws, and take it to just a brushed steel. Should provide a nice contrast to accent it I think. Have seen a few Sigs that come this way and just love the look.

I'm hoping that there's something simple like a liquid I can leave them soak in, like toilet bowl clog remover (the stuff you have to wear gloves when handling) or spray on to achieve my desired effect, but things are never that simple so I'm ready for suggestions.

Tried the search function as this seems something that would've been approached already, but it sucks on this app I'm using and never produces any results.

Thanks fellas.

BeyondTheBox 11-12-2012 05:18 PM

Found this ehow, should I worry about anything on it?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5387875_remove-gun-bluing.html

hiwall 11-12-2012 05:18 PM

Go to a hardware store (or Home Depot) and buy " Navel Jelly". It is a thick liquid that will remove all blueing.

c3shooter 11-12-2012 05:26 PM

The stuff that will remove bluing in NAVAL Jelly.

NAVEL jelly is just disgusting! :p

Sorry, could not resist! Bluing in a form of controlled rusting- it creates a thin layer of black iron oxide, instead of the more common red iron oxide of rust. Anything that removes rust will remove bluing- and Naval Jelly does a great job of that- as will anything with phosphoric acid. You can also remove bluing mechanically- buff it off.

As soon as a carbon steel gun part is "in the white" it will tend to rust- which is why guns were blued- to keep them from rusting.

BeyondTheBox 11-12-2012 06:51 PM

Well I'm trying the White wine vinegar. It's working, now just gotta figure out a good way to polish the metal and give it a slight sheen.

c3shooter 11-12-2012 07:39 PM

For polish- Flitz metal polish, soft cloth. After polishing a good wax can help stave off rust- even neutral Kiwi shoe polish.

BeyondTheBox 11-12-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
For polish- Flitz metal polish, soft cloth. After polishing a good wax can help stave off rust- even neutral Kiwi shoe polish.

I have some Meguiars All Metal Polish and a dremel, unfortunately its not adjustable speed. Would you recommend against using dremel? What about Maguires and a rag by hand?

Ps. Thanks for taking the time C3po.

BeyondTheBox 11-13-2012 01:51 AM

Well, I followed the eHow instructions, rinsed and repeated soaking process. Looks good. Now to put them back on. Ugh, I have no idea where these tiny parts came from, things just kept falling out. The hammer and some bar went flying, just praying I didn't miss anything else. Hahaha

Ah the fun of being a man, we no need no stinkin' instructions. Hahaha

racer_x 11-13-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1012347)
Well, I followed the eHow instructions, rinsed and repeated soaking process. Looks good. Now to put them back on. Ugh, I have no idea where these tiny parts came from, things just kept falling out. The hammer and some bar went flying, just praying I didn't miss anything else. Hahaha

Ah the fun of being a man, we no need no stinkin' instructions. Hahaha

Lmao ive done it more then once, what the hell was that, that hit the wall.

BeyondTheBox 11-13-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_x

Lmao ive done it more then once, what the hell was that, that hit the wall.

Being such a shoot first ask questions later, dive in head first kind of guy, I tend to get myself in these situations a lot. I enjoy the challenge of being myself I guess, good thing, 'cause nobody else seems to. Hahahaha