So here I am with another shotgun project......
I didn't go looking for this one, my Father-in-Law picked it up at a yard sale for $40 for me.
anyway, here is what it looked like when he brought it to me:
Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!
Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.
Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.
Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here
looks like a good basis for your fine work. be watching for updates.
Dis-assembly, the trigger group is removed just like any other Remington 870/1100, just push out the two pins.
The stock had two holes, one for the bolt and the other for???
In this picture you can see the action bar where it attaches to the piston (which is mounted in the front portion of the magazine, which is why the magazine only holds two rounds.
The trigger housing is aluminum and the finish looks horrible, since I have not tried anodizing yet and a polished housing would look good on this gun, I decided to strip and polish it
OK now what? I guess I need to take this mess of parts and make a working trigger mechanism out of them
Way to get in there - and $40 what a deal!!
"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln
While I was at it I polished some of the other parts
I also polished the bearing surfaces of the hammer
After much cursing, dis-assembly and reassembly I finally have a working trigger mechanism
now on to the steel
The next step was to remove the rust and old bluing using naval jelly
I then remove the remaining bluing along with the acid "etching" with the wire wheel on my grinder
Then we start removing the pits, starting with 120 grit emory cloth, then moving to 220 grit sand paper
I kept moving up on the grit until I got to 2000 grit (wet/dry) sand paper, the metal is almost ready for bluing
I then went to work on the barrel, there was a large rust pit on the magazine ring, I used a file to get it smooth again
then I sanded the barrel to 600 grit and used the buffer to make it shine, the black stuff on the metal is buffing compound
Well don't stop now - this ain't no rest home, there's work to be done!
Part one is posted to my blog, stay tuned for the rest of the story
Another Shotgun Project: Remington Model 58 Sportsman part 1 http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/10/another-shotgun-project-remington-model.html
When I blue a gun, I do more than one, more economical that way
Done! I also jeweled the bolt and nitre blued the pins and charging handle
Before & After
you can see the whole story here: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/10/another-shotgun-project-remington-model_10.html