Refinishing: why no mention of Rustoleum? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Refinishing: why no mention of Rustoleum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by epwrangler View Post
You forgot my favorite engine paint. It is good to 500 Degrees. My guns have never over cooked it yet. Another possibility is powder coating.
VHT?

They do make engine enamel good to 500 degees and they also make flame proof coating good to 2000 degrees. You would have to go to an auto parts store or speed shop to get this stuff. I used to use VHT flame proof coating years ago for painting headers on hot rods.

I dont think, however, that it would be a good coating for potential corrosion or rust protection on a firearm.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #12

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One word: Duracoat

Last edited by RCHanlin; 11-19-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #13

Default Hot Bluing

Try blueridgebluing.com

Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why use paint when re-bluing is no big deal. A Birchwood Casey kit costs less 15 bucks and it doesnít take a rocket scientist to use it. Myself I would never even think of using paint on a gun, I have too much love and respect for them.

I have hunted for over sixty years and canít remember the time an animal was spooked by a blued gun so I donít think much of all this crap of camouflaging them. To me it makes a gun look ugly and believe that the whole idea was created by the manufactures to add to the price of the gun.
I donít much like synthetic stocks either.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I know this is an old thread but this reminded me of something

My cousins best friend bought a new bolt action hunting rifle. I cant remember the make but thankfully it was a cheaper brand. After watching all the experts on hunting shows he "learned" that the kind of thick woods he hunts requires a short barrel.
So out comes the hacksaw and 24" becomes more like 19". Just sawed it off, no attempt to square, recrown or even de-burr.
He also "learned" that it was important to have an "all-weather" finish.
Sooo off to Advanced Auto he goes and buys, I $hit-you-not, Rhino Liner. The brush-on truck bed liner. Did the wood stock and all!
I wish I had pictures, it sure was a sight to see, but he was very proud of his work
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #16

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Rustoleum

I recently finished a $65 composite stock on my Enfield with a rostoleum texture paint and it came out beautiful. Everybody that has seen it like it. I'm not sure how it would work on the metal but works nice on the stock.
santa-fe.jpg
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default paint

When I was young, I knew a guy that painted whitewalls on his car tires.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One word: Duracoat

Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I used the Black Rust-oleum High heat BBQ Spray on my Yugo m70ab2. I then put about 100 round through it and cleaned it with CLP and Hoppes. The finish was not affected. So far, so good!

Black Rust-oleum High heat BBQ Spray ($5)
RustOleum.com

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Glad to hear it holds up. I used "Premium Outdoor Metal and Wood Furniture Paint" We'll see if it holds up. The nice thing about paint is it is easy to touch up or re-do. I really like the texture on gun furniture. Don't get me wrong, a hand rubbed oil finish on nice wood is the way to go but on something beat up texture covers filler and hides well.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 02-05-2010 at 01:30 PM.