Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Refinishing: why no mention of Rustoleum? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/refinishing-why-no-mention-rustoleum-2599/)

Caimlas 11-13-2007 11:10 PM

Refinishing: why no mention of Rustoleum?

So I was at the hardware store and I noticed some 'automotive' as well as 'high temperature' Rustoleum in flat black. I've used the "standard" flat black Rustoleum to "re-finish" an SKS, and that held up pretty well to CLP as well as the heat from firing - though it wasn't quite as durable as I'd have liked (it didn't peel off, but it did scratch off more easily than, say, whatever they put on ARs), so I stripped it.

But what of these other grill/high-temp/automotive Rustoleum products for firearm refinishing? The flat black rustoleum ('consumer grade') goes on pretty evenly and looks like a dark park job. I searched the Internet and I couldn't find any reference to the use of Rustoleum for firearm finishes, which surprised me.

So, has anyone tried Rustoleum refinishing of firearms, particularly the "high temperature" grill variant (1200F rating) or the automotive variant (which, IIRC, suggests a max use temperature of 200F. Would common firing bring a (say) pistol up to 200F? I'd think that a product intended for use in an environment where the culmination of high temperatures (enough to cook food on a grill, at least - at least as hot as a hot gun) and the expected scraping of the object with a metal spatula and metal brush (to remove built-up food) would be able to withstand the common wear and tear a firearm would, yes?

At what temperature is metal able to 'scald' a person? According to this, metal doesn't get to 'faint red' hot until around 930F, and I've never heard of a pistol getting that hot. I know rifle barrels can and do get up past 1500F, though that's kinda at the point that they go "boom".

Can anyone think of a reason why the $5 bottle of 'kick arse' grill/high temp Rustoleum wouldn't be superior to the $8+ "commercial" grade of (say) Krylon/Sherwin Williams, which I hear is essentially Duracoat (or maybe it was Guncoat, I'm not sure)?

So what think you, avid gun people?

BTW: Hi, I'm new! :p Stumbled upon this place with a search for "firearm refinishing forum" - this was the first hit.

matt g 11-14-2007 07:47 AM

Spray paint isn't really known for it's durability, nor is it known to produce fine finishes. Do what you like with your guns. I'm not spray painting mine though.

epwrangler 12-30-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caimlas (Post 11785)
So I was at the hardware store and I noticed some 'automotive' as well as 'high temperature' Rustoleum in flat black. I've used the "standard" flat black Rustoleum to "re-finish" an SKS, and that held up pretty well to CLP as well as the heat from firing - though it wasn't quite as durable as I'd have liked (it didn't peel off, but it did scratch off more easily than, say, whatever they put on ARs), so I stripped it.

But what of these other grill/high-temp/automotive Rustoleum products for firearm refinishing? The flat black rustoleum ('consumer grade') goes on pretty evenly and looks like a dark park job. I searched the Internet and I couldn't find any reference to the use of Rustoleum for firearm finishes, which surprised me.

So, has anyone tried Rustoleum refinishing of firearms, particularly the "high temperature" grill variant (1200F rating) or the automotive variant (which, IIRC, suggests a max use temperature of 200F. Would common firing bring a (say) pistol up to 200F? I'd think that a product intended for use in an environment where the culmination of high temperatures (enough to cook food on a grill, at least - at least as hot as a hot gun) and the expected scraping of the object with a metal spatula and metal brush (to remove built-up food) would be able to withstand the common wear and tear a firearm would, yes?

At what temperature is metal able to 'scald' a person? According to this, metal doesn't get to 'faint red' hot until around 930F, and I've never heard of a pistol getting that hot. I know rifle barrels can and do get up past 1500F, though that's kinda at the point that they go "boom".

Can anyone think of a reason why the $5 bottle of 'kick arse' grill/high temp Rustoleum wouldn't be superior to the $8+ "commercial" grade of (say) Krylon/Sherwin Williams, which I hear is essentially Duracoat (or maybe it was Guncoat, I'm not sure)?

So what think you, avid gun people?

BTW: Hi, I'm new! :p Stumbled upon this place with a search for "firearm refinishing forum" - this was the first hit.

You forgot my favorite engine paint. It is good to 500 Degrees. My guns have never over cooked it yet. Another possibility is powder coating.

c3shooter 01-01-2009 02:04 PM

Use the high temp stove paint to touch up WWII Enfields- close copy of the coating they used.

Kill-Zone 02-16-2009 01:03 AM

I used camo-paint on my M-4 and im really impressed at the finish job. so impressed i also painted my Remington .308 with a differant pattern... no since sticking out like a sore thumb in the wood's.....

gosgirl 05-11-2009 07:02 AM

I don't know!

RL357Mag 05-11-2009 01:54 PM

Brownells sells a product called "Aluma-Hyde" it's available in gloss or matte black. It's good for steel, aluminum, and alloys. I used it to refinish the painted receiver of an old Ithaca Mod.49 .22 . It's a very durable epoxy finish and holds up well against abrasion and gun cleaners like gun scrubber. 4 years later and no scratches.

cpttango30 05-11-2009 05:30 PM

Like RL said there are plenty of spray on finishes you can do at home if you want to. Brownells offers a few of them and I have heard they work real good.

I like to Krylon factory plastic stocks for hunting. If you scratch it then fine a few squirts of krylon and it is touched up.

Going Postal 06-02-2009 04:58 PM

My brother does powder coating. A couple of years ago I took an old single barrel shotgun to his shop to see what the powder coat would look like. I used his sand blaster with glass beads and took it down to bare metal and then had him powder coat it in black. I wish I had taken pictures of before and after, but I didn't. I no longer have that old gun but I have to say that it did come out nice, I don't think that I would ever spray paint one, though.

TOP PREDATOR 09-28-2009 08:24 PM

toppredatorproducts.com Page 2