refinishing Marlin 336 stock

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > refinishing Marlin 336 stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default refinishing Marlin 336 stock

While I like the finish on the stock I would love a different finish and get rid of the scratches. Any recommendations for it. ? Pictures will be included later. At Mardi grass right now.

Plan For This Rifle;

I. Refinish stock.
A. Natural?
B. Other Suggestions?

II.Repaint bottom,thingy, on bottom of stock.

III. Blue Barrel Bands..

IV. Possibly refinish Magazine Tube.

Last edited by Scoobydoo51; 03-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

At Mardi Gras right now? I hate you.

Post up some pics when you get back and we'll help you out. But I still hate you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

Last edited by Scoobydoo51; 03-08-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #4

That one was to rub it in^
and I'd like to blue the barrel bands. There are only two of them and I have done it before and it was pretyy simple sooo yeah.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #5

How do you make the photos smaller?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm a lousy photographer and even worse when it comes to resizing pics and stuff like that. So maybe someone else can help with that.

However, I can help with the stock refinishing.

Disassemble the stock from the barreled action and strip it. Use a citrus type of stripper so you don't need to use water to neutralize it. That way water won't raise the grain.

I think you'll find that most, if not all of the scratches will disappear. They look mostly to be in the finish, not the wood itself. If that's the case, just lightly sand the stock with about 120 grit sandpaper. Then use a tack cloth to get all the sanding dust off.

Then you can use whatever finish you want to seal the wood. I'm partial to Tru-Oil. You can make it as matte or as glossy as you want.
I use 00 steel wool in between coats and 0000 after the last coat. Then I just buff it with a soft lint free rag.

I'm sure that others will be along to offer their suggestions as well. Good luck.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 03-08-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #7

Thanks! Oh and Catching beads while watching drunk people yell to get beads is better than work, way better.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My wife and I love the Crescent City. We went there for the first time for our honeymoon. We went back right after Katrina. What Katrina didn't destroy could be great in time, but sadly the criminals and punks forced us to make the decision never to return. I'm not a pilgrim, but I'll never go back.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #9

Ahh I understand I migrate between Mandeville and New Orleans all of the time to visit family. But believe it or not the murder rate has gone down quite a bit! But trust me Katrina wasn't the cause of the crime. I remember one thing my mom told me. When my sister was a baby some kid(not saying race) rode down the street and shot all of the cars on the block. The hole in our car was right where my sisters carriage was a few minutes before.
Scary stuff right there.