refinishing for the DIY'er
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > refinishing for the DIY'er

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Default refinishing for the DIY'er

I've got a well used 92FS that has some wear in the finish, and is almost a gloss now from being "rubbed" so much over the years, as well as some spots where the black has worn away to bare aluminum/steel.

wondering what is available to a home hobbyist do-it-yourself'er that's economical, yet still dependable/durable.

I'm aware of the duracoat, but that seems to be just a paint with a hardener in it. they pictures I've seen all look amazing when it's fresh, but how do they look in 5 or 10 years?

I'd prefer to avoid something that needs baked on, but it's not out of the question...I'm just not too keen on the idea of stripping the firearm down to a bare frame to avoid heat damage to springs or plastic parts. (although I don't think my older 92FS has any plastic on it) nor am I very keen on the thought of using my home kitchen oven that gets used to make dinner, to bake a finish onto a firearm.

Plus, I think some of the parts in the Beretta are not meant to be taken apart by the home hobbyist, and requires special gunsmithing tools/equipment, which I don't have. buying new tools and stuff would quickly eliminate the affordability of doing it myself, and I might as well send it out for refinishing.

I'm not sure what's involved in parkerizing, but I imagine it's similar process to plating, which requires a dunk tank, and special equipment to provide the positive/negative charge to get the plating to stick...again...not really affordable or practical for a one time hobbyist like myself.

So what have you all used, and what has worked well and stood up over the years so far?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Your gun looks pretty good! A little touch-up cold blue for steel or Alumi-black for aluminum. Don't even need to as much as open the action.

Or use a black permanent marker to touch it up.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Last edited by hiwall; 01-23-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 555

It looks pretty good in my book. If I did refinish it I would send it back to Beratta. Home refinish jobs look like home refinish jobs. Jobs done by local gunsmiths look a little better. I have never dealt with Beratta. I had Ruger refinish my Super Blackhawk. It looked like a new gun when I got it back and I couldn't have done it any cheaper at home. Especially if your time and quality of the finish count for anything.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Honestly, it adds character.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8866 Times on 3840 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Stillbatt- unless you plan to give your dog a couple of coats of linseed oil, yer posting in the wrong place. This is refinishing. There is a Hunting topic. Stroll over there and more likely to get an answer.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Home refinish jobs look like home refinish jobs. Jobs done by local gunsmiths look a little better.
Gunsmithing != Refinishing Capability

They are two different types of skill sets. If your intent is to pay someone to do it, then focus on someone with experience and proper equipment.

I refinish out of my home, but I will take a guess when you used the term "home refinish" you mean someone with no experience doing it for the first time and not in a literal sense. lol

Last edited by DuraCoater; 03-07-2013 at 03:54 PM.