Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Refinishing Certification, does it matter to consumers?

View Poll Results: Does a certification matter to you?
Yes it does. 2 50.00%
Not at all. 1 25.00%
Not as long as their reputation is known or I've seen their work first hand. 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Default Refinishing Certification, does it matter to consumers?

I am considering making the trip to the state of WI to Lauer Custom Weaponry to attend one of their classes to become a bonified real deal 100% certified DuraCoat finisher.

Now we are talking in the realm of of over a grand once is all said and done (class, hotels, flight, food, etc. etc.)

So this is more of a general question, when you are looking to have your items refinished, no matter the brand or type, is the company you contact being certified by that product a deciding factor in choosing them to perform the service?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

In my experience people don't give a damn about certifications as long as you do good work and the price is right.
Now on the other hand I feel better having the different certs under my belt but I also tend only to spend the money if their are added benefits. Will the cert save you money on products etc?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

It does get you a spot on their Certified Finishers list on their websites and they claim it will generate referrals if someone emails them asking who is the closest business that can do the work.

I have no reason to believe LCW is yanking anyones chain. They make no claim how often those referrals would come.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraCoater View Post
It does get you a spot on their Certified Finishers list on their websites and they claim it will generate referrals if someone emails them asking who is the closest business that can do the work.

I have no reason to believe LCW is yanking anyones chain. They make no claim how often those referrals would come.
It may very well be worth it just for that. You know finish jobs are good money. Besides if it is something you enjoy doing it is always worth it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

Yes, profit margin is good if the business is coming in. Just like any specific skill set job really.

When you are the only one in 200 square miles that can perform the service and have the creds to back it, you set the market price.