Refinished My Marlin 44 Mag
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Refinished My Marlin 44 Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Refinished My Marlin 44 Mag

I bought a Marlin 44 mag that was a truck gun, finish mostly worn off, a couple cracks, bluing missing or pitted and the buttstock had 1" cut off and a Win but pad on it.
It worked perfect so for $200. it was mine.
No before pics, but here is a couple of after pics.
I just wish the forend was darker, too much sap wood, but it looks darker and better in person.
The metal was hand polished and the stock re finished with Velvit Oil.

John K
Refinished My Marlin 44 Mag - Engraving & Refinishing

Refinished My Marlin 44 Mag - Engraving & Refinishing

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8908 Times on 5328 Posts
Likes Given: 11907

Beautiful gun. Great job on refinishing it. I also like the way you displayed it!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It looks great. What did you do for a finish on the steel besides polishing it?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

Just used finer and finer grades of sandpaper on a block, ending up with 1500 grit that I rub togather before use to take most of the grit off.
The barrel and mag tube were shoe shine polished with strips of sandpaper.
When I was satisified in was mark free, I took it to a frinds shop, cleaned the metal very well and put it in the bluing tanks.
After it was done and came out of the oil tank, I let it sit for 4 days to really let the bluing take before cleaning up the parts, re oiling and assembling the rifle.
A few parts took a little draw filing prior to sanding. It just takes a lot of time. A sanding board behind the sand paper on the flats stops the metal from being dished and keeps the edges sharp.
There were places like around the loading port where the metal was too low to polish with a board behind the sand paper, then you do that part by hand.
On some guns, if you don't have to take too much metal off, you can make the whole flat, flat. This one would have required too much metal to be removed to do that.

My Best, John K

Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's a great looking rifle! One day I'll ad a 44 mag lever gun to my collection. A 357 too.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wish I had a friend with bluing tanks.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #7

It does make it easier if you have tanks, but there are a lot of smiths that will blue it for you (except Kalif). You can do all the polishing and then send the rifle.
I use SavageGunsmithing
They do a good job and I have no doubt that if you preped the rifle, they would charge you a reasonable rate to just drop it in the tanks.
I would buy a bottle of Hold from Brownells and spray it down before shipping, right after you are done with the polishing to insure that no surface rust got on the parts.
You will get fine surface rust very quickly if you don't protect the metal.

Your other option is to buy one tank from brownells, big enough to hold the rifle and use a camp stove to heat the water and do a rust blue job. It takes some time, but a rust blue is so darn beautiful. You usually only polish to about a 400 grit with the rust blue, it does not take well on super smooth polished surfaces, but it produces the finest bluing you will ever see.
It does take a little time to do as you have to apply the solution as many times as it takes to get the color you want. You rub down the gun with fine steel wool, put boil the gun, put more solution on the metal, it will rust right away, let it sit per instructions, boil it again and just keep doing this until you get the nice dark bluing that you want.

I have rust blued many guns, it takes some time, but is not hard to do at home. Brownells has the rust blue solutions.
The gun comes out blue, not black like regular bluing. looks like the guns of old.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 03-20-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks John, I'll have to look into it.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Great job, very nice looking rifle !!!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beautiful gun Rifleman, a .44mag lever gun and revolver are on my short term buying list along with a good Shotgun and sporterizing my Mauser. If you dont mind me askin how much do you have in it total?
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."