Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Rebluing a Winchester model 94

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rebluing a Winchester model 94

I have an older Winchester model 94 that my dad and i reblued a couple of years ago, and the bluing is starting to come off. Where are some good places that i can send it to have it reblued.

Thanks, Chris

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Hi there,

I love the bluing done by Jim (James) Hoag in Canoga Park, CA. 818-998-1510. He is an old school artisan.

Best known for his 1911 and Browning Hi-Power gunsmithing work, but outstanding with everything.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #3

When you reblued it the first time, just curious what method you used. There is a serial number range for which the steel in the receiver will not accept hot blueing, it turns purple. I discovered this when I reblued one for my brother with Brownell's Oxynate 7. Receiver turned a deep mottled purple. It looked a far cry better than the before rifle, just wasn't the typical "blue" that the rest of the gun turned out.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #4

There were a bunch of 94's built that had a really high nickel content (I don't remember the serial # or date range) and will turn purple in hot bluing. Your best bet would be to have it either rust or Belgian blued. Both will turn it the proper color and will last a very, very long time. They are, however, more expensive than hot bluing. I've also seen a few that have been parkerized and a couple with one of the spray on finishes but those just don't look right on a lever gun. IMHO

David

David Clevinger
www.dcengraving.com

Old 11-15-2008, 02:50 AM   #5

The date of manufacture will definitely affect how the rifle blues, and also will let you know what type of finish was likely on the gun when it was new.

The proper polish on the metal is also very important to ensure that the final result is good. the same thought process applies to the wood also. Except for the polish !

Some of the early post 1964 rifles will case color very nicely, BTW.

take care,

Tom