Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Re-blueing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
The way I understand the procedure during etching the laser beam is engraving a very accurate groove which is shallow - much shallower than the usual mechanical engraving the traditional abrasive rotary tools or stamping perform.

So the factory procedure might be something like this:

1. The gun is hot blued as usual.
2. The lettering, emblems, etc are laser etched.
3. Some kind of paint is smeared on the engraved surface.
4. The excess die is wiped away and the coloring stays only in the grooves.

So my questions to those who know are:

1. If I chemically remove the factory blueing, do I remove those shallow laser grooves too?
2. If I cold blue, without previously removing the blueing, do I cover the laser grooves?
3. What kind of paint do I have to use to refill those grooves?
4. How do I apply this paint? Brush? Airbrush? Smear it in with a cloth/cotton swab?

Dimitrios
Lemme answer your questions:

Chemically removing the blue will NOT remove the etching.. Reason being (obviously) the surface has been "etched" the chemical used will only remove the blue.. 2) If you chose to cold blue without removing the old finish, it will NOT cover the laser groves.. It will only blue the metal.. The blueing chemical is not a filler it only reacts to the ferus metal surface.. What will happen is, if the chemical used to remove the old bluing removes the paint, you will have to re-fill the etching with fresh paint. 3&4) I am not 100% sure but I would assume it to be a laqure based paint of some sort. I imagine you could also use a paint much the same as used in model building. Simply apply with a brush and wipe away the excess before it sets and then allow to dry..

I have to ask though, judging by the pics you attached, why are you wanting to reblue to start with? If you have an area that's been scratched or rubbed etc, simply clean that area and apply cold blue to the affected area. No need to strip the entire firearm and do it over again. Was your picture just an example? If so, how bout posting a picture of the firearm you are concerned about rebluing.. I've been restoring/refinishing firearms for several years so I know a little bit about this.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 05-14-2012 at 12:54 PM.