Questions about Tru Oil

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Questions about Tru Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions about Tru Oil

I will be refinishing an old Marlin 99 22 and I have a couple questions about applying Tru Oil.

#1. At what temp can I use this product? I live in Wisconsin and its below freezing outside, do I need ventilation and use this in a cold garage or can I just do it inside?

#2 Has anyone used the Walnut stain that comes in the kit? How dark is it out of the bottle, or how much should I dilute it? If anyone has pictures of stain darkness on their stocks that would be great.

#3 What does the conditioner actually do to the finish?

Thanks for all help recieved.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #2

Liked 757 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I have used Tru Oil alot. You shouldn't use it outdoors in the cold as it will dry amazingly slow. Inside you have to deal with the smell which won't kill you but might lead to an intense discussion with your spouse. In where it is warm and dry with a little air movement it will dry in 1 to 3 hours. A fine product. You talk about stuff in the kit but fail to give the kit name. All stain is different on each piece of wood. If the stain is oil-based and looks to dark on your wood you can quickly wipe the wood down with mineral spirits(paint thinner) on a rag to lighten the color.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 757 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Put some paint thinner on a rag and wipe the stock after you have sanded it. The wet color is about what the wood would look like if you used only the Tru Oil with no stain. Youu might not want the stain. The thinner will hurt nothing and dry quickly.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Tru-Oil or BLO all depends on the finish you are wanting to end up with. Tru-Oil will give you a more high gloss look while BLO (boiled lindseed oil) will not. As far as your staining question is concerned, you an apply any stain and meter it's effect on the wood on how quickly you wipe off the access.

Personaly I never dilute any stain out of the container. I can always adjust the color and intensity by how long I let it stay on the wood. Pretty much all stains that I use are made by Minwax and I've had great results with it.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I've used Tru-Oil sitting right here at my desk several times on stocks-
Enjoy the buzz

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET