Question about refinishing Ruger 10/22 stock

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Question about refinishing Ruger 10/22 stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about refinishing Ruger 10/22 stock

I wanted to refinish my ruger 10/22 stock. Removing all the old stain, putting new stain on, and then putting on tru-oil. I was going to use citristrip and the birchwood casey stock finish kit. But now im wondering... if i already like the stain on the gun.. could i just put some tru-oil on it and use steel wool, and repeat? just to make it glossy? I dont really want to change the colour i just want it to be glossy. So you can see the grain of the wood better. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermonty
I wanted to refinish my ruger 10/22 stock. Removing all the old stain, putting new stain on, and then putting on tru-oil. I was going to use citristrip and the birchwood casey stock finish kit. But now im wondering... if i already like the stain on the gun.. could i just put some tru-oil on it and use steel wool, and repeat? just to make it glossy? I dont really want to change the colour i just want it to be glossy. So you can see the grain of the wood better. Thanks.
You will need to sand it they use a satin clear over the stain to give it durability