Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > A project of memorial.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1492 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 7369

Default A project of memorial.

A close friend of mine lost his grandfather about 2 months ago. In talking to gramps over coffee last year, i found out that he was involved in the battle of Stalingrad during WWII. The man had some cool stories to say the least, I wasn't interested in the stuff in the history books, I like to learn about the day to day stuff, worst meal you ate, closest friend, what you did with your downtime, etc. We lost him 3 days after his 92nd birthday.

One of the items passed to his grandson is a Mosin Nagant 91\30 that is pretty beat up. His dad is a gunsmith, so he offered to go over the operating systems, and I was asked to refinish the stock in a walnut stain and seal it for him. I am honored to do so, and here is where I'm at so far. Stripped, sanded smooth, stained, and temporarily reassembled to keep the parts all in one place after his dad dropped of the butt plate and fore end cap this afternoon. I will be leaving the dents in the wood as per their request. They want it done in the same way gramps would want it, IOW still able to tell it's story.

Tomorrow I will strip it down again and start the oiling process. Yes, he will keep it as a shooter, but it will also be a display piece inside a shadowbox with his grandfather's picture and medals. I will get pics of the completed display as well for all to enjoy.

100_0864.jpg   100_0865.jpg   100_0868.jpg   100_0869.jpg   100_0872.jpg  

100_0880.jpg   100_0881.jpg   100_0870.jpg  

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 11-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2237 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Kfox,

No matter what the weapon is or what the actual real value is as far as monetary value. There certainly is something that is truly priceless about a weapon handed down to us by a dear family member! I guess as in my case as well as your friend, a Grandfather rates at the top! When you look at and handle one of these nostalgic weapons it brings back wonderful memories about the person you loved dearly. Or in my case Grand Dad taught me the love of shooting, weapons, fishing, wildlife and the love of the outdoos. The lessons are also priceless and gives some of us the good foundation we need to live our lives with dignity,respect and to it's fullness. And certainly a love for priceless gifts as your friends rifle! My Grandfather also passed down several prized possessions to me that I cherish and handle frequently thinking about Grand Dad! I know he smiles every time I do! I will be looking forward to seeing your friends rifle when it is finished.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 358

very nice. just finished a Mosin re-furb myself and almost finished with a second. It's addicting, and they are surprisingly good shooters

image-2135063449.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
very nice. just finished a Mosin re-furb myself and almost finished with a second. It's addicting, and they are surprisingly good shooters
So very true.

My friend's dad brought over the receiver, barrel, magazine assembly, and other small parts this morning. All he did was some touch up bluing to match the general theme of the build. When I started the staining of the stock I started with about a 7% mix of boiled linseed oil mixed into the stain. The first coat was applied after sanding with 220 grit, then a wipe down after it fried with denatured alcohol. this was followed with 400 grit and a wipe, the 600 grit, a wipe down, and final staining. Final prep was 3 coats of linseed oil left on the wood for an hour each. Here's how it turned out.

The idea of this refinish is to honor grandad and how he would have done the rifle if he was still with us. He would have left it rough around the edges, just as he described himself. I hope you like it Gregory. You are missed.
100_0882.jpg   100_0883.jpg   100_0884.jpg   100_0885.jpg   100_0886.jpg  

100_0887.jpg   100_0888.jpg   100_0890.jpg   100_0892.jpg   100_0893.jpg  

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20061 Times on 11410 Posts
Likes Given: 50601

great story and an awesome job on the rifle! looks great, and i think he would approve of it.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
great story and an awesome job on the rifle! looks great, and i think he would approve of it.
Thanks Axxe. He was one of the coolest men i ever met. I used to sit in his kitchen just listening and taking in all I could learn about the battle of Stalingrad, and the USSR in general. As I said in my OP, the stuff you can't learn in text books or on the History channel is what interests me the most.

i have another friend on the local indian reservation who's grandfather was a wind talker in the pacific theater. Over the last 10 years, I have been learning the Seneca language, and have heard some hilarious tales of his day to day during that time. If the snow keeps going like it is tonight, I'll be going over to his house to clear the driveway in the morning, and stopping in for coffee and a little more history while I'm out there. Lately we have been talking about life on the reservation during the Great Depression. It puts things into perspective to talk to those who lived through it, and to be able hear their tales is priceless.

I just wish his grandson would learn this. He won't be around forever, and you can never replace that person when the end comes. i know his job keeps him busy, but he needs to make some time now, before it is too late.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
+1 !!!
Thanks for taking the time to share this
People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 6045

Thats awesome, sweet job you there and a great story, that weapon hasnt looked that good in a very long time yet it still proudly displays its battle scars! Its a memory maker that generations will cherish! You just insured the grandkids might keep it as a wall-hanger for the next 100 years instead of selling it for $100.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Thats awesome, sweet job you there and a great story, that weapon hasnt looked that good in a very long time yet it still proudly displays its battle scars! Its a memory maker that generations will cherish! You just insured the grandkids might keep it as a wall-hanger for the next 100 years instead of selling it for $100.
the way those Ruskies built those things, heck, his Grandkids can SHOOT the darn thing in a hundred years! too bad the other milsurp rifles of that time can't be as durable...American, German, English or otherwise
People Like This 
Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
the way those Ruskies built those things, heck, his Grandkids can SHOOT the darn thing in a hundred years! too bad the other milsurp rifles of that time can't be as durable...American, German, English or otherwise
Very true. The only action that was stronger than the M\N during WWII was the Type 99 Arisaka. Between that and the lack of commercially available ammunition many have been rebarreled or rechambered, and turned into sporting riles. Most were rechambered to .30-06.

The rifle was delivered to it's owner today, and he is very happy with it. His uncle down in NC is making the shadow box for it's display now, and I will be sure to get pictures posted when it is complete. Thanks for the compliments. This was a project I was honored to be part of, and a memory that I will always cherish, as it is for all who were involved in this memorial.

Look for a future range report in early June. We will celebrate Gregory's birthday with a Mosins only range day, and this one will be the first one fired.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

People Like This