Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Pit filling material?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pit filling material?

Hi. I’m starting on an old 98 Mauser action to build an old beater hunting rifle with. It is an action bought from Sarco that looks to have been dug up from a garden in France. It has some pretty bad pitting at the stock line. Most of it will be covered by the sporterized mauser stock, but not all. The entire gun will be finished with LCW’s Duracoat. I need a (cheap) material that will fill in the pit’s that will accept paint. I know LCW has Durafil but this is a build on the cheap , and the pit’s are deep enough that it would take untold number of passes with a HVLP gun spraying Durafil, not to mention all the time sanding between coats. Do you think something such as JB weld, Davcon or the like will hold up and not try to release under the force of recoil and the related vibrations? Any and all constructive comments welcome. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If it's just cosmetic and not structural, Bondo or some other polyester body filler would work well and be cost effective. It sticks to metal pretty well and sands easily.