Pine Tar Application on Laminate Wood - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Pine Tar Application on Laminate Wood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2623 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

AR,

Wow that is one fine looking rifle! Thanks for sharing it with us. And YES! And also we would like a step by step! That is just plain nice! Great Job!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
ARnoob: what is that on the barrel of that rifle? I've never seen anything like that before

It's a fake suppressor (barrel shroud) to cover the barrel. Instead of making this rifle an SBR, I opted for a fake can. US made replica of the Russian PBS-5 suppressor.

K-Var Corp. ™

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
AR,

Wow that is one fine looking rifle! Thanks for sharing it with us. And YES! And also we would like a step by step! That is just plain nice! Great Job!

Thanks! You got it. Once I have it typed out I'll post it.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Pine Tar Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
AR,

Here is the pine tar application process.

This came from a member of another forum. Here are my findings. I hope this helps you guys as well.

(You have stripped your wood, made sure to wash it with denatured alcohol and promised not to touch it with your bare hands again.)

1.50/50 Mix of Pine Tart and Turpentine
2.Use a 2 inch medium quality nylon paint brush or cloth
3.Use a brush or a rag to apply the pine tar to your wood
4.Keep wiping it down until you have a wet oily sheen on the wood. It should be wet to the touch.
5.Bag the wood up in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, burp out the air and seal it good. Now put another bag over that.
6.Put bag in a warm place (back porch in the sun) for 1 hour. The goal is to cook it in.
7.After 1 hour. Un-bag and look at the color. Like what you see? Your done!
8.Want it darker? Re-wet with with the pine tar, bag up and cook some more. The Russian stock in my picture took 90 min.
9.When it looks like you want, wipe it down with a clean rag. Re-bag it. Let it sit and sweat another 30 min. Give it the big rub down again. At this point you are done. You should burnish the wood with a soft cloth for a few days before you shellac it.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #25

hi arnoob, great finish! where did you find this recipe? who originally did this? I sent you a pm... keep up the good work! and pics coming...

Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

wow that would be sweet for my mosin sniper!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
hi arnoob, great finish! where did you find this recipe? who originally did this? I sent you a pm... keep up the good work! and pics coming...
Thanks! I got the recipe from some members of other forums. A guy who goes by Yavlar posted the most detailed version.