Parkerizing question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Parkerizing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am waiting for Dale Woody to re-inscribe what was an incredibly pitted slide with most markings gone. In a few weeks.. Dura Coat very probably will win the re-finish lottery as soon as Novak (where the slide is heading next) finishes the hi viz sight job it will get. A dura coat question.. Do any of the color possibilities have any luster or sheen to them, or all they all just flat matt colors?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There are a few colors that are "matte", with no sheen at all. Mostly the earth tones and they are specified on Lauer's website. The rest do have a gloss to them. The shine factor can be manipulated by the amount of catalyst added to the color portion.

Unfortunately, adjusting the sheen by changing the amount of catalyst might be a trial and error process. I did an old Mossberg 500 that I added a very small amount of extra catalyst (by small I mean less than 1/2 tsp) and the thing shines like a diamond. It's just a truck gun so I am not terribly unhappy but a small deviation in the mix ratios made a big difference for me.

Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 04-03-2010 at 03:05 AM.