Painting Stocks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Painting Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Painting Stocks

After searching for weeks to find a synthetic stock for my Marlin MR7, i have found nothing. I bought another walnut stock that i will keep in good condition, and i am planning on painting the original. I want to go with a woodland pattern that will work well in hardwoods as well as some pine forests. I searched google and found some designs that i really like. I will be painting only the stock, the receiver and the barrel will stay blued. If you have any tips or tricks you can let me in on i would appreciate it, also i would love to see some of the work you guys have done to give me ideas. Thanks in advance!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #2

Default im ready to here this topic also

well i have a extra encore walnut im goig to try as well to camo..

..I UPHOLD THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE-ARMS..

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #3

I painted the stock and the barrel on my Remington 700 I made sure to rough the stock with about a 200 grit sandpaper then wiped the whole thing off with acetone to get rid of any residue. Use two coats of Krylon primer underneath and then I put a oblique pattern on the whole thing. Used a combination of Krylon Camo paint in Khaki, White, OD green and some Brown. DO NOT sand any on the inside of the stock where the action sits or the inside where barrel is unless it is already floated. Make sure to mask off any areas on the inside of the stock where paint is not necessary. Will try to post a pic or two if I can get my camera hooked up to the darn computer. One other thing is this paint is very tempermental and had to let it dry for about three days before it really took hold. So be patient because it works relatively well.

Last edited by Coyote3; 03-06-2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Forgot last tidbit

Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #4

I too have been considering doing this. I found this video to be helpful. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2880481446517142569&q=how+to+camo+ rifle&total=270&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&pl index=2

Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #5

got the new stock in the mail yesterday. only thing is, i think the one on my rifle is in better shape. im not too thrilled about that, but i got a really good deal on the new one. i still have to decide on a design, thanks for the input and the links so far. keep them coming!!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #6

Krylon works well especially with their matte finish "camo" colors. I just did the stock on my Rem. 700 LTR. Were you going for a camo pattern or just something different? Anyhow, after the paint was dry, I topcoated it with Dura Coat satin clear to protect against scratches and wear. It is a little pricey, but VERY rugged. That may not be a good thing if you ever want to change patterns though. It will not come off without blasting. I was happy with my camo job so I went ahead and used the clear Dura Coat. Looks and feels like a pro did it.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/\

It is very easy, just grab some cheap measuring spoons (to measure the ratio of hardener/ finish) as they are not much good for anything after the DuraCoat gets on them. Acetone works very well for clean up before this stuff dries. Also, I bought the propllant charged sprayer that they sell for $10. Don't. It is available at any hardware store or wal mart for $5-$6. I ended up borrowing an airbrush and again, it looks great and I am very happy with it. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jeep, you have any pics you can share? Would love to see her!
I have stuck with basic colors and just spray cans with flat clearcoat, so nothing sexy. I m so glad I took a chance, I don't like any of my "black" guns finish as much now, they just don't look right without a good camo job.

regards

Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #8

I can try ro get some up but I am, uh, not the best with that sorta stuff. I can manage to get them onto my computer but you might have to be patient with me while I try to get them to you.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Jeep.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default i use duracoat

I use duracoat, it's hella easy to do. I got an airbrush, it's much better than the can of propellant. I like their selection of colors, they have templates you can use but i've also made my own with masking tape. I did the slide on my glock with gloss black, came out really good. I did an ATI stock for my Mosin rifle in the stainless and filled the checkered areas with royal purple, then clearcoated it. also did the rifle barrel/receiver and magbox with flat black. The flat black duracoat works excellent and looks really good on ANYTHING!! Did a Marlin 60 with the stainless and clear, put a dragunov styled ATI stock on it with urban camo colors and splashes of the royal purple. I cut all those patterns from masking tape myself.
Put a Choate dragunov stock on my SKS sporter and did that one with the digital desert camo and I also did a choate sniper stock for a Rem 700 with some custom painting. I did the patterns myself with some of the leftover desert camo colors from my SKS stock.

glock-3.jpg   imga0749.jpg   marlin-ss-urban.jpg   sks-desert-1.jpg   stock-5.jpg