Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Noob refinishing a .38??? or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Default Noob refinishing a .38??? or no?

Hi I found a thread on what I'd like to do to my S&W mod 10-7 .38 spcl heres the link http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/s-w-mod-10-7-refinish-38383/index2.html#post573413 but it was an ancient thread so I dunno if i'll get a reply. So could someone take a look at what this guy did and let me know if this is somthing you guys would recommend a first time n00b re finisher try ? anyone know if this gun would be too complicated for me to disassemble and reassemble? appreciate the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Although I've done quite a few restorations using a spray on finish for shotguns and rifles, I've always "prefered" to do a high polish and blueing for revolvers when that was the original finish. Certainly refinishing the revolver might be slightly more complex, but, there's always a first time for everything. I believe if you have the basic mechanical skills you'll have no problem with your Smith. I'm partial to DuraCoat for spray on finishes since I've had great luck with it on many of my projects.

If you plan to do a polish and reblue, I suggest you use glass beads rather than aluminum oxide.. it is less abrasive and leaves a more polished finish to work off of. If you plan to "paint" it, then oxide is the best since you need a rougher surface for the paint to adhere to.

In additon to several books, there are also many videos and instruction guides to help in your tear donw and rebuild of the revolver. I'd also suggest taking pictures as you tear it down so you can always go back to see where that screw went ( lol )..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Well its parkerised now not blued , would you say that makes a difference is how one would choose what to refinish with? and i accidentally used bore cleaner to instead of rust protectant cause bottles were similar and the labels were missing... and the parkerising is really worn because of that could i just apply right over or do you think it still needs to be median blasted? forgive my amateur questions as i said ive never done this before

Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #4

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts

Bore cleaner will not harm or remove Parkerizing or bluing. Rub a little oil on the spot ant it will look better.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
Bore cleaner will not harm or remove Parkerizing or bluing. Rub a little oil on the spot ant it will look better.
I dunno bout that one there guy. if it wasn't the bore cleaner then the parkerizing spontaneously just thinned out. not being smart but after i bore cleanered it the parkerizing almost immediately thinned

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts

Bore cleaners are made to clean guns. Why would anyone make one that damages a finish normally found on guns?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To my knowledge, none of the products used for cleaning purposes will remove park from a gun. About the only way I know to remove parkarizing is a blaster (beads or alum oxide)... If the finish that was on your gun started to thin out once the bore cleaner was applied, then it was NOT a park finish. ( Bill is correct )

If your firearm was already a park style finish, then I would apply that type of finish back on it. Most of the 10-7 38's I've seen were blued which kinda makes me think it got some type of matte finish later in it's life. If you would prefer the blued finish, then I would recomment taking it to someone who does this profesionally. There is a lot involved in restoring a polished blue finish that the ordinary guy can't accomplish at home easily.

Pictures of your firearm would be nice so we could help you further...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 09-06-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #8

Too late I sold it and bought this Dan wesson .357 purdy aint she

dan_wesson.jpg  

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin